GO!

Puppy with loose stools

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 7:31am PST 
My new Cavallier has no parasites, no worms but he is 14 weeks and on his second time of diarrhea! Slowly mixing hard dog food back in to canned ID and I wake up to him having loose stool in his small cage. He is peppy as ever. Vet has givien him a medicine to calm stomache and it worked but now he is at it again! Anyone have this happen to them?
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 10:37am PST 
Has your vet ran tests on Giardia? Giardia causes loose stools, majority of the time though Giardia causes explosive diarrhea. Is the loose stool look like pudding or is it watery? I would get a second opinion from another vet. He/she may have a sensitive stomach and digestion.
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 11:05am PST 
I agree about the giardia, but also, has your puppy had any antibiotics? Did they remove dew claws? Antibiotics before the puppy reaches a certain age can destroy any good bacteria in your pups tummy. I'm going through this with Tia. She had been given antibiotics after they docked her tail & removed her dew claws. Now we have tummy issues that we are working through. I'd add some probiotics & digestive enzymes to her diet, maybe even some slippery elm. My vet also suggested raw goat's milk to help add the good bacteria back in (I never got around to finding some here). Also give her a very bland diet for a while. Tia is on white rice (organic) & hamburger (boiled or browned). Or you can give her rice & boiled chicken.
[notify]

Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 7:08am PST 
Like Tia has said putting a puppy on a bland diet will help with putting the puppy's digestion back on track. As soon as you see normal stools slowly start adding her normal diet back into her rotation. Antibiotics (majority of them) after any procedure can cause loose stool (the antibiotic that your vet prescribed for your puppys' loose stool is an exception).

Tia - I know you can find condensed goat milk in the baking section of grocery stores and processed goat milk in the dairy section. But I have no clue where to find unprocessed goat milk in cities.
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 8:10pm PST 
Mishka & Luna, I know there are some farms here that sell the raw milk, just haven't gone yet. I'm a bad mommy! laugh out loud
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 11:50pm PST 
Your not a bad mommy, you just probably have been busy lately dancing
[notify]