GO!

Chihuahua Backyard Breeder

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

  
Presley Star

Presley loves- you! And you!- And you!
 
 
Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 1:01pm PST 
We've been seeing ads for poorly bred Chihuahua puppies in our local paper from a self-described "backyard breeder" ... no kidding! See the breeder's "about me" page at http://www.memeschihuahuas.com/about/about.htm.

What does "backyard breeder" mean to you? shrug
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!
 
 
Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 1:49pm PST 
HOLY SMOKES, that is very scary!!! Does TX have any laws for puppies such as health checks required, vaccines, lemon laws, etc? If they do I would suggest reporting her.
[notify]
Turbo

1267841
 
 
Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 12:12pm PST 
You'd be surprised by how many Chihuahua breeders are "backyard breeders." I live in California, and my local animal shelter is filled almost exclusively with Chihuahua-type dogs. I think because they are so easy to manage, more people are capable of handling the labor involved with rearing puppies (not necessarily good breeding practices) and therefore more "regular" folks tend to breed them. You can potentially keep a litter of chihuahuas in an apartment.... Ironically, out of all the chihuahuas I've met (trust me—I live in CA, there are TONS), the only one that had health issues was my friend's fancy-pants purebred long-haired chihuahua which they paid a ridiculous amount for. She had some bizarre/rare genetic disorder that gave her seizures and required an expensive (and apparently experimental?) surgery at UC Davis.

The real question is, at what point does a "backyard breeder" become a "regular" breeder? When they start producing purebred litters with papers?
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!
 
 
Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 1:19pm PST 
A BYB becomes a regular breeder, IMO, when, first and foremost, they do not breed ANYTHING, registered or not, without first doing appropriate health clearances and certifications on the parents, and making sure ALL pups produced by them are sold with written health guarantees that make sense, not just those 48 hour ones.
Next, they need to practice some sort of screening process in selling the pups... not everyone is a suitable home for a dog and certain breeds require different things from their owners. A good breeder will educate their puppy buyers and make sure they know the bad as well as the good about a breed.
If they are doing that AND they are breeding for some purpose other than just to produce puppies then they may be ready to step up to "regular" breeder status.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt
 
 
Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 1:36pm PST 
Turbo I would like to say that the likelyhood of genetic problems is exactly the same between 'fancy pantsy purebreds' and mutts.
If you put two dogs that are homozygous (Ex: Aa) for.. well, ANY problem. Then there is a 25% chance for Dominant (AA), 50% for Homozygous (Aa) and 25% for recessive (aa) for EACH pup. These two dogs can be purebred or they can be mutts, If you breed a GSD with a Rottie and they both have HD (Dominant: AA) then their pups are going to have it, regardless that their pups will be mutts.
If one of the parents was homozygous and the other recessive (Aa x aa) then there is still a chance of the puppies getting it, the only way that they wont have it is if they were all aa.

However, there is breed specific problems (vWD for example). Dobermans have a long history of this disease, with 50% being carriers, 25% being effected and 25% clear. So if you bred a Dobe that is a carrier (or effected) to a dog that doesn't have a strong history of it (uhh.. Husky, lab, ect?) then there is a less likely chance, but it is still a chance.

"The breeds who have vWD Type 1 and where a DNA test is currently available are:
Bernese Mountain Dog, Coton de Tulear, Doberman Pincher, Drentsche Patrijschond, German Pinscher, Kerry Blue Terrier, Manchester Terrier, Papillon, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Poodle and Stabyhoun.
http://vetgen.com/canine-strategies.html"

Any of those dogs, bred in whatever kind of mix you prefer, can still be born with vWD, regardless if mixed breed or pure.

Sorry. I just don't like it when people put down purebreds. A dog is a dog, and they all have genetics, some work in the favor of others and some do not.
Just because her dog was purebred doesn't mean it came from a good breeder, too, a good breeder would look up known problems of the breed and would have tested the dam and sire before breeding.
Chances are the parents had the same problems but they were over looked.
[notify]
Turbo

1267841
 
 
Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 1:47pm PST 
Who's "putting down" purebred dogs? I own two. I think it is IRONIC that the only unhealthy chihuahua I've ever met was probably the most expensive.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.
 
 
Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 2:19pm PST 
but neither expense nor having a pedigree indicates a well bred dog at all.

a backyard breeder becomes a 'regular' (read: reputable) one when they have what Toto wrote, AND, they start studying pedigrees & lines.. becoming involved with & knowing intimately, the breed at large, where it is, where it needs to go, and how to improve upon the breed - not just the 1 dog or 2 dogs they have. Concerned with the futurity of the breed and how to preserve & strengthen it.

These things are not achievable when one is sitting in their home breeding Fluffy with their Max (or maybe the neighbor's Max) for fun or for money.
[notify]
Bambi

Yes, I'm a boy,- just like the- deer!
 
 
Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 2:42pm PST 
Ew. A backyard breeder is one that breeds for any reason other than for the betterment of the breed. Money, miracle of life, accident, etc. Bambi originally came from one, though he was not purchased due to the relationship his former owner had with the breeder. Daisy came from someone who was once a decent breeder, and I knew the lines backwards and forwards. Unfortunately that person chose to put money making over betterment of the breed.

As for this person, they can hardly put together a legible sentence and has puppies from like 3 litters for sale. No pictures of the parents. It is because of people like him/her that the shelters are filling up with Chihuahuas. As someone who has lived with the breed for 22 years, I think Chihuahuas are wonderful, misunderstood and misrepresented dogs. People come to my house and wonder why my dogs aren't yappy and actually act like "mini dogs". Maybe it is because I treat them like dogs instead of toys or fashion accessories! Even if my dogs do sometimes travel by purse... red face
[notify]