GO!

Finally took Frankie to the dog park the other day..shockingly he did not seem to like it...???

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 8:51am PST 
So neat to hear the varied responses smile

Too funny that in just last night's newspaper, they are discussing opening a dog park within our local park. Of course there is a lot of red tape and planning and expenses to be covered, but it is definitely being considered! way to go

I would probably go to the dog park we went to again, not sure if on a regular basis though, as it is kind of tricky to get to, and not closeby-it is a good half-hour away, plus, if there are no other dogs there (thank goodness for that lady having her 4 dogs there), it would probably be pretty boring and not much different than romping around in our own backyard.

But I am excited and happy to hear they are considering a dog park less than 10 minutes from my house. That would be awesome!! Of course, it will likely be a couple of years before/if it actually happens, but it is sure something nice to hope for! smile

The same LOCAL park is the one I take him to on occasion (the one they are discussing opening a dog park at), so he can romp freely off-leash on the basketball court (about a 10 foot high fence surrounding it). He really loves that, trotting around, smiling the entire time. So if nothing else, we can take him there and let him have some nice wide open space to run about freely off-leash. The fence goes down flat against the pavement and is very strong and secure, with no holes or gaps near the bottom. So that is always a nice treat for him. smile

Thanks, everyone, for your replies..it is so interesting to hear others' experiences!! smile

Edited by author Fri Sep 7, '12 8:53am PST

[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 11:16am PST 
I didn't read some of the other posts, but just wanted to let you know that not every dog is a dog park dog and some owners also are not good for dog parks LOL That's not to say that you aren't, but I have had some bad experiences with my dog at our local park and so we don't go anymore.

I can take her hiking or to the local dog friendly pub ant that's good enough for us.

I think some times that people think that dogs NEED to socialize, and to an extent that's true. BUT, we need to make sure that they socialize on their terms, and not base their experience on what WE think should have happened.

If Frankie seemed happy, then he probably was. Maybe he doesn't need to be a social butterfly. From his perspective, you took him out of his familiar surroundings and thrust him into an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar dogs and expected him to be the life of the party. ;-) Personally, if I'd gotten that reaction, I would have been pleased.
[notify]
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 7:55pm PST 
smile Don't overthink it. This was a new experience to him, and it sounds like he did just fine. It was a brief introduction, nothing negative happened, and he started to remember doggy greetings. If he chooses to visit humans more, it's likely because that's what he is used to. It's good for dogs to interact; get back to their canine side. wink
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2