GO!

How often do you take your puppy out to pee?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Patty

Mummi's girl :-)

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 3:11pm PST 
Hi guys

Patty is now 7 months old and a Lhasa Apso x Toy Poodle so she is quite small.

She can hold her pee for around 12 hours during the night and whilst I am at work (although it is more like 8-9 hours, 12 is if an emergency has arisen!) and we've had no accidents now for about 4 months (until today!).

How often should she be going out when I'm at home in the evening? I take her out about every two hours at the moment which equates to about 5 times in the evening with one of these being a walk and I want to reduce this as the colder weather sets in. The only problem is that she doesn't give any signal at the back door that she needs to go (probably because it's been open all summer) and tonight it was shut, I was upstairs sorting out some washing and she peed right next to the door.

I know we need to get back into a routine and work train her to bark at the door, but I wondered if 5 times in the evening is too much even for a young small dog?

Many thanks

Patty's Mummi xx
[notify]
Banjo

Little rascal

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 5:05pm PST 
Every dog potty trains at different speeds. I think you should take your dog our as many times as they need. You said she peed right next to the door. Maybe she was standing at the door wanting to go out but because you were in a different room you didnt see her. Sounds like she knew she needed to go outside but couldnt hold it any longer. Like you said training her to indicate when she needs to go would help alot. Maybe after her accident take her out every 1.5 hours so there arent any more accidents.
[notify]
Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 8:37pm PST 
How about hanging some bells on the door? Before she goes outside try to get her to nudge the bells, then make a big fuss over going outside. That way when you hear bells, not barks you know to get moving! laugh out loud I would take Grunt out every 2 hours. We still go out quite a bit (he's 16 months) but going outside isn't a bad thing. Good luck! way to go
[notify]

Patty

Mummi's girl :-)

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 10:38am PST 
Thank you for your replies smile

Patty has still been completely dry/clean during the day/night, so I think it was just a little accident because the door was shut and I was upstairs. (I live alone so there's no-one else to see her waiting or open the door etc).

I have been making a note as to when I'm taking her out again, just to get into the habit of a routine and taking her out before I do things like go for a shower or the start of a film.

I've also had a look at the poochie bells and picked one out for her smile
[notify]