GO!

Introducing Allie! (And the not-so-good news)

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Allie

Allie Poo!

Barked: Sat Sep 1, '12 9:41pm PST 
Thanks for all of the replies and the well wishes. Allie is doing great - she's not dehydrated, has been drinking and eating just fine, thankfully, and is just as active as a puppy should be. Her stools are still abnormal but they're getting better. We were given the go-ahead to start her on the hook worm treatment, which she hates, but I think she's going to be fine (and our vet agrees).

All this being said, YES, we got Allie from what most consider a "BYB". It was an individual that had a litter of puppies by "accident" (meaning they irresponsibly allowed their family pair of boxers to breed and then said, "Oops!") I really should have known better - I know that it's not legitimate and I myself have stated many, many times that I'd never get a puppy from one but when my husband showed me Allie's picture, something about her tugged at me (and her specifically, not really the litter as a whole).

So no, Allie was NOT rescued. However, I do have a "rescued" boy, BoBo, that we adopted from the shelter and we also have a Shih Tzu, Wicket, that we brought home from a breeder (and not a BYB). So now we've experienced pretty much every side of the spectrum (breeder, then rescue and now BYB...). I love my little Allie but I can say that I will never EVER consider it again after what we've gone through in this short amount of time. It was definitely an "I told you so" moment, a real eye-opener, on why no one should do what we did. I don't regret bringing Allie home simply becauase she got help and I'm glad that we can be with her to support her as she gets healthy but at the same time, I should have known better from the get-go and let my heart do the talking over my brain.

It still angers me that she never received ANY shots or worming. Totally irresponsible (although I can't be casting stones because technically, me bringing Allie home wasn't the most responsible choice, supporting BYB's and all...so I recognize that we all - including Allie - paid the price for dealing with a BYB instead of a reputable breeder or by simply rescuing).

As for Wicket and BoBo...they are fully vaccinated and are on monthly Interceptor for heartworm & fleas but our vet recommended a booster "just in case" and sent me home with a shot for each, which I gave to them immediately.

I just wanted to clear up the confusion about whether Allie was "rescued or from a BYB" because I didn't make it clear in the beginning. I really do appreciate all of the kind words, though, and regardless of how Allie came home, we love her and are so thankful that she pulled through and didn't suffer too badly (or as badly as it could have been) and that she's on her way to becoming a healthy and overly-active puppy. She goes back to the vet on the 18th for a checkup and her next round of boosters but I think she's done remarkably well, all things considered.
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Sat Sep 1, '12 10:07pm PST 
Tia came from an oops litter as well. The sire had an appointment to be neutered, but he unfortunately got to the dam just days before he was to go under the knife. Luckily, the owners were very responsible & the pups had been wormed & vaccinated & I ended up with a wonderful dog. Allie looks absolutely adorable & I'm glad she is doing better. I'm sure you'll have a great time raising her smile
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '12 6:51am PST 
We are glad to hear that Allie is doing so well. It sounds like with your loving care she will be fine.hugwishes to you on having her happy and healthy for a very long time. We are sending a pal request.welcome
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '12 7:12am PST 
Glad to hear she is doing better. I hope you intend to go after these people.
At the end of the day, supporting a BYB aside, you love her and that is really the point. And I know the feeling of 'that dog is mine' that instantly pulls you in and I will not belittle someone else for it.
Watch for relapses and I hope you have a long and happy life together.hug
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '12 2:20pm PST 
SO glad to here this super news.

Take care of her and love her as I know you do. As Sabi said ... watch a little closer than ypou might otherwise do

BUT... because you DID.. you got Allie to a vet and on the mend. It could have been a very different story.

Well Done to you for that

I will put the piece below in as I wasnt happy being slapped down (not by the OP)for my use of the word "rescue". Not like I am ignorant of the English Language....

RESCUE .... dictionary definition

Definition of RESCUE

a: to free from confinement, danger, or evil
b: save, deliver: as a: to take (as a prisoner) forcibly from custody
c: to recover (as a prize) by force
d: to deliver (as a place under siege) by armed force

I am English... and English and American are 2 different languages !

No way does it condone BYB and puppy mills... and I know you dont.

Hoping Allie has a long life.. and I know it will be a happy one with you.

Edited by author Sun Sep 2, '12 2:36pm PST

[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '12 5:25pm PST 
Glad she's on her way to recovery.snoopycheerhamster dancehug
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '12 6:16pm PST 
Yay! Glad she is doing better! snoopy

Perhaps we all need to try to remember that Dogster members come from a variety of countries, and try not to get too technical with correcting wording and such. wink

Edited by author Sun Sep 2, '12 6:17pm PST

[notify]
Allie

Allie Poo!

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 10:31am PST 
I hope that my last post didn't seem as though I were picking on anyone for their choice of words...I just read the debate over "rescue vs. BYB" and I've been on Dogster for a while (under my other boy's name, Wicket) and I should have clarified from the get-go. I know that people have different definitions of what "rescue" and "BYB" means...and to me, "rescue" is saving a pup from a shelter that may otherwise have been put to sleep (or a rescue organization, etc). "BYB" to me has a broad definition. It means a pup born from a genuine puppy mill (breeding for profit but doing so irresponsibly and not for the love of a particular breed...or cross breeding for profit, etc.) or it could also be like where I got Allie - an irresponsible (or just unknowing) owner that didn't have their dogs altered and allowed them to breed "by accident" and then have a whole litter of "unwanted puppies".

As I said before, I really should have known better and I have seen countless (and I mean a LOT) of puppies that are cute, sure, but I never considered them because first, I thought 2 was enough and second, I didn't want to support BYB practices. I can't explain why Allie jumped out at me, I really can't. All I know is when I saw the whole litter in that picture, Allie specifically jumped out at me. I wasn't interested in the litter as a whole but her little face just spoke to me somehow and I knew we had to bring her home and I couldn't explain why, especially being so against it, that I ignored my beliefs and said, "We must go get her if she's still available." And we did immediately.

I know that her coming home with Parvo and hook worms was infuriating but honestly, I don't regret going to get her. Granted, I won't ever be doing this again but I feel almost as though Allie were meant to be here for this and I'm so glad we could help her get through this sickness and help her enjoy life again instead of suffering.

I did try to contact the original owner of the litter. All of Allie's litter mates are gone and that breaks my heart not knowing if they're all right or if their new owners will recognize the signs and get them the help they're going to need. I didn't go after the new owner for Allie's medical bills and I won't. Although I'm a bit upset that they didn't get her any of her puppy shots or worm treatments and didn't care that she had Parvo, I am her mom and I knew going in (as with all of my furbabies) that her medical care was something I took on when I brought her home, even when the unexpected worst happens like it did with Allie. I don't want them having anything to do with Allie anymore and I'm perfectly all right with the medical expenses as I know she's our baby and I know she's at least getting the proper care.

And all sickness aside, Allie's been a dream pup and she's definitely my baby - she follows me around excitedly all the time. If I'm sitting, she lays down and puts her head in my lap and just stares at me for the longest time. When I pick her up, she "hugs" me and lays her head on my shoulder. She eats a lot and never stopped drinking water (and she drinks a LOT as well!). Every day, I disinfect the house and when we leave, we spray the bottom of our shoes with a bleach solution so as not to track the virus. It's a lot of work but it needs to be done and above all, I'm just happy that Allie's going to be all right (and Wicket and BoBo haven't been affected).
[notify]
Allie

Allie Poo!

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 11:11am PST 
I hope this works - I took this picture today. I'm in college and was reading one of my books and Allie immediately jumped up and fell asleep in my lap, laying her head right on the book BOL!

In case the picture doesn't show, here's the link:

http://tinypic.com/r/sdmlxf/6

Edited by author Mon Sep 3, '12 11:12am PST

[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 12:53pm PST 
Oh that is so cute! big grin

Btw, pretty sure Flicka was not referring to you...I think her post was in response to the comment made by the member who didn't have a profile pic.

Edited by author Mon Sep 3, '12 12:53pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4