GO!

Introducing Allie! (And the not-so-good news)

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Allie

Allie Poo!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 2:01pm PST 
This last Friday (August 24th), my husband came across an ad for Boxer puppies...

I know, I know...we must be crazy, right?

Before I go on, let me explain: We've seen countless puppies and were always firm on our "no more, 2 is plenty" decision....until we saw that ad for Boxers.

The ad had a picture - the puppies were gorgeous. One of them, however, looked different - the only one that didn't have the solid black mask but had pink spots instead. My husband and I instantly said, "Should we go see her?" And of course, we did. All of her littermates were still there - so Allie was the first to go home with a new family. When we met her, I instantly noticed she was a bit on the thin side (not overly thin but just a bit thinner than a puppy should be). I asked about vaccination and worming documentation - and was told by her original owner, "My cousin took them to the vet and I don't have papers on that but I'll call them next week and see if they can get me something." (*cough*bunchofcrap*cough)

I fell in love with Allie, though. She was so loving, came straight to me and cuddled up right away and I knew that she was meant to be in our family - welcome - She's perfect.

We brought her home and thought she seemed scared - and she looked really sad. Saturday and Sunday, she did nothing but lay down. She wouldn't eat unless we fed her out of our hands. She wouldn't drink unless we held the bowl up to her as she laid down.

I thought she was lonely, missing her littermates - or scared in new surroundings because other than wanting to lay down and not really showing interest in food, she was very loving to whoever was within reach of her, wanting to be petted and giving constant kisses.

Monday (yesterday), Allie was suddenly a regular ol' spunky puppy - chasing Wicket around the house and vice versa, eating and drinking like a champ from her brand-new bowls, jumping around and playing - so I chalked up the weekend behavior to nerves and being in a new home with a new family.

Until today. Today, everything changed.

I left to bring Wicket to the groomer and my husband was home, asleep (he works 2nd/3rd shift hours). I came home around noon and my husband had just gotten up and was in the shower. Allie had a poop accident on the floor (as puppies will do.) I went to clean it up instantly and noticed something was very, very wrong.

Allie's "poop" was actually a very runny pile of blood - and lots of it.

I immediately grabbed her and rushed her to the vet (and called them on the way, of course). They took her from my arms and brought her back to an exam room and told me to wait in the lobby.

20 minutes later, the vet came out and asked to speak to me privately.

I knew this couldn't be good...I had a fear but wasn't entirely prepared for the diagnosis.

My sweet & perfect Allie was diagnosed with Parvovirus today. On top of that? She's full of hookworms. My heart is broken for my poor baby, that she has to battle this at only 9.5 weeks old.

The vet says she's not dehydrated at all (she even drank this morning) and we probably caught it very early on as she also hasn't vomited since she's been here. They gave her some shots and sent me home with some nausea/anti-vomiting medication. They also sent me home with booster shots for Wicket and BoBo, just to be sure they don't get infected (to be on the safe side even though their vaccinations are up-to-date).

I called the original owner and was told that all of her litter mates have found other homes but he said that they don't have the contact information for any of them. (I gave him mine when I got Allie, though...at my insistence.) So now I'm spending time, loving on Allie and worrying about her litter mates - will their new families pick up on the signs of Parvo and get them to a vet before it's too late?

I'm really hoping that Allie pulls through this - the vet said she has an excellent chance at survival as long as she doesn't start vomiting and she is still drinking. If she stops drinking or starts vomiting, I have the emergency vet number on hand and will take her in for IV fluids immediately. I'm already in love with my little Allie girl and I'm so sad for her, watching her go through this. The hookworms are the reason she's probably this thin, according to my vet, and I do have treatment for that as well but was told to wait until next week to give it to her, that we should let her battle the Parvo first.

Sorry this post is so long - but I'm a nervous wreck. I've never dealt with Parvo and it breaks my heart but I will do everything in my power - and not leave her side unless I absolutely have to - to make sure she overcomes this and can get back to enjoying being the beautiful puppy that she is.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 3:22pm PST 
Thankyou for rescuing and caring so much for this little lass.

It sounds as if your vet is someone you trust... and that helps ALOT.

You got this right at the very start... and she has the best chance possible to tackle this.

So.... breath... do the meds and do the cuddles ! That includes Hubby as he needs it too !!

Take it as it comes.. you have everything in place for the very best outcome. You can do no more.

Its clear the idiot owners(or whatever they were) couldnt give a damn. Sadly.... you cant save the world. Allie is your priority.. work with that... you need your strength and so does she. You have to close the door on the other pups as you have no redress. I know it sounds hard.... but you cannot save all.

Please know many will be thinking of you.. and keep us posted.

big hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hug
[notify]
The Bell- Pack

We are three,- plus one Kittee!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 8:49am PST 
Well said, Flicka. And we will be thinking of little Allie and her family and wishing you all the best for recovery!

hug
[notify]

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 9:06am PST 
OP- I'm so sorry you're having to deal with parvo. It's such a horrible disease and I hope your puppy lives through this. (sends good vibes)

BTW- I hate to be a pill, but she didn't "rescue" the puppy, guys. Rescuing is adopting a dog from the pound. What the OP did was purchase a dog from a back yard breeder, who didn't bother to vaccinate the puppies, and probably didn't take care of the parents, either.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 11:15pm PST 
Allie- welcome to Dogster. sending lots of big hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hug and prayers your way and hoping for a complete recovery quickly. It is sad that some people bring puppies into this world without concern for the parents,the puppies or anything but making a profit.

We hope that with your love and care Allie recovers and has many more years to spend with a loving caring family.
[notify]
Bambi

Yes, I'm a boy,- just like the- deer!

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 12:13am PST 
Best of luck to you! When I got Bambi at 4 months he had not received even one shot. When I went to pick him up I had a vaccine in hand because I was terrified of this happening. I just don't understand why people do not vaccinate. frown Bambi was extremely malnourished when I got him, and I doubt he would have survived. At the very least, she does not seem terribly sick from this yet, and looks to be a fairly big, healthy girl otherwise. Your family will be in my thoughts.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 7:51am PST 
What are the legal standards set for buying puppies, and seeking compensation for damages on a puppy that is sick or dying immediately after purchase? There are laws in place, I'm just not aware of them off the top of my head as I only purchase from ethical breeders who offer me a binding written contract that grantees the health of my puppy.

I believe there is a certain time frame where if a dog is sold and is sick, you are legally entitled to a refund/etc.

I implore you to look into this. As was stated, this dog was not "rescued", it was purchased, and in doing so you only enable this vicious cycle of producing and selling unhealthy puppies to continue. IF, however, you seek damages from these people, and require them refund the money or help pay vet expenses for selling you a sick dog, then maybe they will get a much needed reality check and stop breeding puppies for spits and giggles.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 8:35am PST 
Agree with Mulder. Check laws in your area as dogs are property and go after these people with everything you can.
With early intervention Parvo is treatable and a large number of pups recover well. Be aware that it can have lifelong impact. And it can get expensive to fight but it is a virus and must run its course. Keep your girl hydrated and get her to the clinic if anything changes.
Let go of the rest of the pups, you can't help them. You could try running a local ad but I have my doubts. Focus on your girl, she is going to need it.
Best of luckhug
[notify]
Nukka

Nukka- Play with me!!

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 8:48am PST 
Lucky for Allie that you caught it early!! Parvo is treatable... and many pups recover from it, especially when caught early. As everyone else has said, keep her hydrated, and the virus will have to run its course. It is hard, but she is a lucky girl to have you looking out for her.
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 11:00am PST 
More then likely because you caught it early she will pull through just fine.wink. I wouldn't run off and vaccinate your other dogs though, they've already been exposed and vaccinating them at this point isn't going to do any good. If they are both vaccinated as puppies then they will be plenty protected from it now.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4