GO!

Choosing not to neuter

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 1:24pm PST 
I've an intact male and it is probably relevant to breed, but I find that he is often more distracted trying to show up, spar, or otherwise challenge other male dogs (does not matter if intact or not), or he is trying to show off to females. I know a few people in the breed that prefer to work females for that reason. The neutered males seem less boisterous.
[notify]
Nix

Never Say No

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 1:18am PST 
Just thought I'd chime in with my own experience owning an intact male.
Nix is a great boy, He's a typical marker outside, and... he lifted his leg indoors once. Only once! He was caught in the act and taken outside immediately. Seemed like the message was loud and clear to him (fiance scared him half to death when he yelled and chased him up the stairs before picking him up to carry him out) and he's never dared do it again. I still keep a close eye on him at Petsmart, and he's fortunately never tried marking there either. The marking thing, like others have said, is all about training.

As for getting along with other dogs? Nix's social skills are incredible. I watch how he interacts with others, and I'm constantly amazed to realize that he's probably one of the most polite dogs I've ever witnessed, with only a few exceptions (Like my friend's female BC, who he was very flirty with when we visited.) The problem I find is actually with neutered males. These days I've actually become really wary of neutered males, because SO OFTEN they do try to attack Nix after getting a good sniff and realizing he's got something they don't. Oddly enough, I can't think of any time where we've ever had a problem with other intact males. They seem... I dunno... surprisingly unconfrontational. A sniff, a sideways glance, and they go their separate ways.

Our experience is probably different from the norm, but it's definitely made me re-think what I thought I knew before about intact vs. 'fixed' dogs behavioral-wise. On the other hand, I work at a grooming salon, and some of our worst clients are intact males. thinking It's probably safe to say it has mostly to do with training/socializing, as well as breed.

I'm most likely going to keep Nix intact unless a medical issue arises from it. Oh yeah, as for wandering? Honestly, I have to say my spayed female wanders more than Nix ever will. laugh out loud He's the definition of mama's boy who never strays far.

Edited by author Fri Jul 20, '12 1:19am PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 7:09am PST 
I know several breeders of high drive dogs, mostly performance kennels. Believe me these owners do not want a loss of drive. However, they need dogs that are able to be kept safely within groups of dogs. It's for that reason that most males are neutered once they return to their home after they're retired from their show career after finishing Ch. (generally they're placed with a pro-handler for conformation). Their samples are taken and preserved for all future breedings. Then they continue with their hunting careers.

If the dogs suffered any loss of drive, these folks wouldn't continue this protocol, it's worked well for them for a long time. The big plus ofcourse is that the science of preserving samples has gotten better even as the cost has come way down. They do very few live covers these days. So the benefits of being able to keep the dog around a mixed group of other males, some neutered and some intact, intact and breeding females in relative peace, outweigh the very low risk of drive loss. Some of these males are able to remain intact and behave well in groups with little anxiety, so they are left entire. The decision to neuter is really based on the individual dog. Females are spayed due to the risk of pyo once they've produced typically two litters.

My personal theory is that if the dog truly has a high predatory drive that was there long before sexual maturity, so they won't lose much of it with a neuter. Especially in slow maturing breeds. A hunting carnivore is a hunting carnivore.
[notify]

Emma-Gem

I'm the PRINCESS- of the house!

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 12:04pm PST 
Good afternoon, we have a male sheltie who is "intact" we never neutured him as he has a "gf" that we breed him with...he has NEVER marked the house but maybe that is because we have never had any males in the house...!!! I think this is more a behavioral issue then a "male thing" ir intact or not intact thing! If you don't wish to neture your dog that's entirely your business and no1 should force you to do it. I've had some pretty awsome vets that ive explained (when they get into are you goinf to neture William (the shetie) I am like no he breeds) and they don't say anything. we now have a shi-poo and she Will BE FIXED lol don't do the "mix" thing. anyways all the best
Dannielle & Cinderella and William
[notify]
Ninja PD SR1- RATS MBDCh- FM

Take That!

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 1:46pm PST 
In terms of drive and temperament for my late Border collie I did not see much of a change in either after he was altered. I would have kept him intact but he developed a prostate infection and his vet felt he would be better off altered. He was already over 2 years of age, and was competing in Flyball. He was highly driven and competitive, and neutering didnt change any of that in any form, and didnt make him laid back or easier going in gerneral. It also didnt "fix" behavioral issues that we were working through at the time, we had to use behavior modification techniques for that. Just my experience, and if he has been healthier i would have left him alone. My border collie puppy i have now is under breeding contract and will remain unaltered until he is health tested when age appropriate and finished growing and then if he is worthy to be bred from we go from there. Health reasons are my main concern for altering/not altering.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 8:15pm PST 
I've already chimed in once, but I will say, the major difference in behavior I notice between my own dog and Jake (neutered at 15 months), is that mine is MUCH more obsessive about scents and other dog's...erm, genitals. Not as a sexual thing, mind you, he's just obsessive about scents. He HAS to figure out who the dog is and where they've been.

Jake will smell, yes, but he's much more interested in play after just a fast meet & greet.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 12:13pm PST 
Emma-Jem,

I hope both your male Sheltie and his "gf" both have the appropriate health testing since you are breeding them together.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3