GO!

Crate question

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Jack

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 8:57am PST 
Hi. We have a (now) 11 week old Austrailian Labradoodle that we are working on crate training. I've been going really slow with the crate trying to make it always a positive experience. He does GREAT at night and doesn't object at all when I put him in for his naptime in the morning. We're up to 2 1/2 or so for his morning time (he actually went 3 hours yesterday) and I make it a point to go in before he starts to fuss.

He's fine in there so far with toys and kong but my question is: I can continue to up the time each day but at some point, I'm sure he will start fussing before that time is up - what do I do then? Do I just let him cry it out? I always worry that he may need to potty (yes, we make sure he goes before we put him in) but don't want to give him attention when he's making a ruckus so that he thinks that works to get him out.

Anyone else approach the training this way (slowly) and how did you do it? Thanks!!
[notify]