GO!

Introducing Jack!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Jack ~May- '12 - Jul '12~

Live like- there's no- tomorrow

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '12 11:35pm PST 
Just added a new puppy to my household. I think he is a Pit mix, about 3-4 months old. I am taking him to the vet this morning after work...he already gets along well with Angel, and is trying to figure out what Tia (the cat) is, lol.

So far his moods have been kind of up and down...can't blame him due to the circumstances. Right now, with me he is still untrusting (his first owners left him behind) but he already LOVES playing with Angel, and she loves it too!

Luckily because I don't work during the week, I will be able to spend a good amount of time helping him adjust to life back in air conditioning!
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 7:47am PST 
Aww congrats on your new addition he is super cute. welcome
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 7:34am PST 
Thanks!
[notify]

Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 8:26am PST 
Yea!! cheercheercheer Welcome home Jack! flowers Congratulations on your new addition partyparty
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 9:00am PST 
Thanks Grunt! I am wondering though...when Angel is around the puppy is all excited. But when it's just myself and Jack he acts distant. He will wag his tail when I talk to him, and even eat food out of my hand, but when I go to pet him he gets still, and generally tries to avoid me, without being too far away...(he wants to be near me, but not TOO close.)
[notify]
Natalie

Bossy Aussie

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 12:35pm PST 
Congratulations on your new addition!

It sounds like maybe he hasn't been socialized very well and/or has had a few bad experiences with people if he's trying to avoid you. I would try to feed him his meals by hand as that can sometimes help build a bond and help confirm for him that all good things come from you.

Also puppy classes would be a great idea, they will help him build his confidence with other people and dogs and they will also help you to build a bond. As long as he checks out with the vet of course smile
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 12:48pm PST 
So far so good with the vet. He's not old enough for rabies yet so no puppy classes until then. He's starting to come around...seems like a big trust issue. If I leave for any length of time he kind of avoids me. But if I am home all day he is a happy camper. So we are working on the trust first.
[notify]