GO!

Just got back from the vet..Frankie has a systolic heart murmur..how serious are they..?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 8:47am PST 
or can they be..?

The vet said it was a slight murmur (he just listened to Frankie's heartbeat with a stethoscope..), and he did not seem to think it was anything major..

Just wondering what they are and if they can become serious later in life..?

Of course in my state of slight shock and also my fatigue in waiting over an hour for the appointment, pand with the heat we have been having, I did not think to ask questions, especially since he said something about it is not that big of a deal in a puppy..

Is this something minor and will not affect the dog, or would it/could it become serious later on..?

I know I am sort of putting the cart before the horse, but of course now that we are home, I am wondering about it..
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '12 11:39pm PST 
I am not sure what to tell you...but sending some prayers your way.
[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 1:12pm PST 
Frankie, I am so sorry will keep you in my prayers too.

Normally vets know what they are talking about, did he not explain what it was to you?
he should of explained it to and asked if you had any questions if he did not then I might be looking for a new vet ASAP. I just want to say my first vet I had was terrible would not answer my questions, did not listen to me about not wanting vaccines all they cared about was money. I am so lucky to now have found a great vet and plus they live closer to my house. Even if he said it is nothing to worry about you have the right to know. I tried to look up info on it but could not find much about it this is something I found http://www.backcsc.com/heart.html
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 1:46pm PST 
Was it serious enough to be assigned a grade?

Heart murmurs can get worse as dogs get older. If a vet felt like it was a grade of murmur serious enough, normally an ECG and/or Echocardiogram is carried out to determine the exact extent.

Edited by author Mon Jul 9, '12 1:49pm PST

[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 3:36pm PST 
As Lilith said.. 1st before you start to worry find out the detailed facts !

Can only say this.. and I know it applies to animals too... I am 57.. had one since birth... and it has had ZERO impact on my life !And I havent lead a quiet and sedate life !!!!

So... before the monsters come to keep you awake at night.. find out ... VERY FEW are of any real consequence.

hug

Edited by author Mon Jul 9, '12 3:39pm PST

[notify]
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 3:40pm PST 
Oh I am so sorry about Frankie and his heart murmur. I don't know anything about murmur's in dog's but I have had one since I was a kid and also have a rhythm condition and am still going strong. Have you tried googling it? In the meantime know that little Frankie will be in my prayers and Keeva's too. I know you must be worried but I do know that many murmurs (in humans anyway0 are entirely harmless. Keep us posted.big hug
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 6:27pm PST 
Thanks everyone.. big hug

He just heard it thru the stethoscope and he did not say much about it and daid it is really nothing to worry about (no grade or anything) but being a first-time doggie mommma--or a momma in general--I tend to worry..

I did google and, as others have said, the grades deterine how serious they are, and the vet did not ask for/suggest anything regarding what abnormal rhythms he may have heard..

It does explain Frankie's tendency to have his heart beat super-fast with fairly light exercise (he is not overweight by any means, he is exactly 11 lbs, the vet said that is where he sjould be)..and then he does pant a lot for no apparent reason (he gets plenty of water, and we constantly krp hos bowl filled) and he seems to pant at night..

It probably is nothing to be concerned about, but when it comes to any abnormalities, some of us doggie mamas get a little overly cautious..wink

The vet apparently did not even write the 'finding' on Frankie's chart, because as I was leaving, I asked the receptionist, who was holding Frankie's charts, what exactly Frankie had, and she looked, and did no find anything written down..thinking

So I guess it is a very minor thing..for now..?

I may seek another vet. I know this one is good, though, but you feel 'rushed' when you go there(waiting room is always packed) and his staff is usually no very helpful in offering answers..

Thanks again, everyone!!! big hug
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 6:55am PST 
Well I just got off the phone with the vet's office. I asked if there is anything that I need to do, and the (?) receptionist said just bring him in every couple of months for a checkup..

Two things..I am not sure why the vet did not suggest this, plus, while I know dogs are an expense, I really can't afford taking him in every couple of months for checkups..frown

This morning I noticed the side of his chest had an unusual breathing/in/out/release..was not sure if it was the heartbeat peeping thru or just irregular breathing..but whereas he typically goes up/down/up/down, he was sort of going up-up-down-down..hard to describe..

The more I read about this the more I worry (google is sometimes wonderful, sometimes not so much..)

I also wonder if it was triggered when he had his neauter surgery...?
The same vet has been seeing Frankie, and never mentined a murmur on the initial checkup when I first got him, and nothing when he was neutered. I do see some pups have murmurs but they go away at around 6 months (same time as many get spayed/neutered), but this seems to have come on post-neutering..

Sorry to be such a worry-wart..
Just hoping somebody has more knowledge about this stuff that is not all doom and gloom..

I also wish the vet suggested checkups every couple of months, if that is what is needed..

Ugh..frown
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 11:23am PST 
I would not overly worry. Kind of thinking the vet office is suggesting the visits every 2 months to appease you.

Any vet I have seen over the years even when busy would stop right away and talk, give a treatment plan, etc if things were serious. It is something you will want to watch and make sure any vet you see in the future knows and can check on it for you.

Also - I know of a few dogs with a low graded murmur that still participate in dog sports.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 11:58am PST 
Two of my labs were diagnosed with grade 5 systolic murmurs at their first puppy health check. They are now nine years old and both still have grade five mumurs and both still lead absolutely NORMAL labrador retriever active, hunting, swimming, lifestyles with no issues at all.
As in humans, systolic murmurs are the result of the artery from the lungs to the heart failing to close properly at birth when breathing switches on and rarely cause problems unless other heart issues are also at play.
Most likely this murmur was missed at his previous exams and is not something that just happened.
Fast heart rates up to 130 and higher are perfectly normal in dogs, especially in warmer weather or with any exercise. Panting, also normal in hot weather, will also increase the heart rate. Too slow heart rates are more likely to cause health problems since they allow the blood to pool in the capilaries of the lungs, leading to pneumonia.
Written by someone who has also lived 60+ completely normal years with a systolic heart murmur, grade three!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2