GO!

In need of puppy raising resources

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 6:20pm PST 
I am considering taking in a very fearful mamma and her 4 one week old puppies, but I know almost NOTHING about puppies. Can someone point me in the right direction of some puppy raising resources? Info for the first 8 weeks of life? preferably something that I can access online as the pups would be coming up this weekend.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 6:39pm PST 
Sarah, you CAN do it. I have a nice manual I wrote myself that will walk you right thru it! Pmail me your email addy and I will get it to you, either sunday or Monday cuz it's at work.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 6:50pm PST 
Toto you are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! I am hoping I am equipped to take on this challenge. I am not working for the summer, so I am home. They would have to stay in my bathroom (maybe in the separate, dry tub?) because I am in the middle of putting down laminate flooring everywhere else. I don't have any men in my life (sad, I know), or children, so I would have to recruit some help with that. Mom is "backwards" (says the rescue coordinator). They are living in a kennel in a barn right now. Would not have been pulled if it weren't for the puppies. No a/c in the barn so they are roasting. Mom just cowers when you approach her but will let you handle her pups...

Can I take my own dogs to the dog park while I have these puppies? Do I even let my own dogs around the pups?
[notify]

Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 7:36pm PST 
Sarah... I think you are brave.. have hand fed kits and birds of prey.. but not puppies ! You might also like to contact Sonja with Josephine and Jolanda.. she recently fostered a similar situ and all are wonderful and brought up now.

Josephine
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 10:59pm PST 
You can do this. Puppies, babies all the same. A lot of it just comes to you as you do it. Love does work miracles.

As far as your own dogs I like to keep everyone seperate for the first bit while we make sure there is nothing developing. I make exceptions for orphans with Sabs but you have Momma.
Dog parks depend on what might be in your area. We have parvo issues here so I am jumpy about public areas.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 6:36pm PST 
Thanks for all the info!

I have no children either, so puppies=babies doesn't help! smile
I talked to another foster home and she said she does not allow the resident dogs around the "family" until the pups are about 4 weeks, when mom is getting more independent. I have heard from a local vet that they are having a lot of Parvo cases currently. I will keep my dogs semi quarantined just in case.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 4:14pm PST 
We started with the book How to be your Dog's Best Friend, and I felt like it taught me a lot. I didn't agree with every part of it, like never letting your dog sleep on the bed or smacking paws to teach off, but all the big stuff- potty training, leash training, basic commands, etc, is step by step and positive, reward based. So I highly reccomend it, but taken with a grain of salt. I think with babies, positive interactions with people, a good mama, and playtime with siblings is most important. Winning mama's trust may be tricky. I think letting her come to you and giving her high value treats whenever she does might work best. Also you will do the puppies a favor by teaching them not to nip /gnaw/mouth humans from birth. I'm a big proponent of yelping (on the first nip) and then getting up and walking away on the second nip, and ignoring the pup for a few minutes. It's really tempting to let it go, because it's so cute and nonthreatening at that age (and because the payoff often takes awhile) but if they get consistent guidance, by the time they're done teething (and people are starting to see their jaws as a threat) you'll be virtually guaranteed of a pup who doesn't nip. Once mama is comfortable, help them get used to being picked up, carried, and touched all over.
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 5:37pm PST 
I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say good luck! wave hug for the poor scared momma dog, I hope you're able to help her.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 10:48pm PST 
Sarah what I actually meant was that in a lot of things the answers are there buried inside and they just come to you when you need them. Babies are babies. They need food,shelter and love first and foremost. All else we can learn as we go.
Yes if mom is scared I would isolate them. Any stress on her will affect the pups.
Remember to change clothes and shoes before going in with them if parvo is an issue. It is crazy easy to spread.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 11:08pm PST 
Mama is doing better but still very scared. Got her eating now by mixing some chicken baby food with her kibble. She wasn't drinking so now I am mixing water, baby food, kibble o get her to eat.

One of the littlest ones is not doing well. I don't know if she'll make it through the night. We have been doing syringe feedings tonight to try to get some nutrition in her, but her breathing is labored and she is very weak, not nursing on her own. I just went to check on her/feed her, and mom had her isolated over to the side of the den, all alone. Maybe that's a sign? :/ IF she's still with us in the morning, I'll take her in to the vet.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2