GO!

What to do, with car fear?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Boo- Bearing-Ton

Sooo FLUFFY!

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 5:06pm PST 
Boo is 8 weeks old just came home this weekend and hates the car flips out every time I take him with me, he literally screams and makes a digging motion in my lap, or where ever he is He will not calm down for anything (not treats, not if I hold him close, not if I put him in a crate) even if it's not moving he still screams and cries, as soon as we get in. I am a real estate agent and would like to take Boo every where with me to the office, to showings even to negotiations and I'd hate to leave him at home because I want it to stay this way with us being a team! I understand he is still young but Im trying not to have this turn in to a huge life long fear of getting in the car. Any suggestions?

NOTE: I am not driving with him in my arms I am in the passenger seat holding him, or he is in his crate in the backseat
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 7:20pm PST 
Baby steps. Start off just taking him near the car, playing around it, giving him treats, ect. Then open the car doors and repeat. When he's comfortable with that, try taking him in the car, leaving the doors open, and playing/treating him there. Then turn the car on, ect. ect. If at any point he starts screaming, you've moved too quickly. Go back a step, or as many as needed to relax him, and begin again. Don't rush this process or try to do all the steps in one session, it may take several days or even weeks.

Once you get to the point where he can ride in the car, keep all trips very short at first, and try to go places he enjoys so he associates car rides with going someplace fun.
[notify]
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 8:16pm PST 
Onyx gave you good advice. I just want to add that our puppy was a bit fearful of the car also. I could tell she didn't like to be crated in the car. We finally bought a Fido Rido (you can look it up on the computer). It is pretty spendy but has been great for our pup. It sits high enough so she can see out but she is restrained safely. We put it in the middle of our rear seat of our SUV. She still whines a bit but not near like she did and I think if we took her more often that would stop. Good luck and hang in there. I do believe with patience and practice your pup will get used to the car.
[notify]

Boo- Bearing-Ton

Sooo FLUFFY!

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 10:15am PST 
Thank you so much for the advice, this morning we walked around the car and he didn't seem to mind just sniffed around it and went in the house taking it step by step is very helpful I don't want to blow his little mind and I'm still learning his personality too he is very brave when it comes to being a daredevil with my bed and jumping but not so brave when it comes to adveturing to far from my bed room.I did consider getting him a car seat but since he won't set foot in the car now I'm willing to wait a while and make sure he is ready first. I love him so much enough to take things slow.
Thanks all!
[notify]
Zoey

oops theres a- wall there!

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 10:27am PST 
I agree with Onyx.. step by step and no need to rush things. Our Zoey didnt like the car too well (would try to sit on your lap as you drove/shake) but I just continued to take her with us everywhere even on really short trips, and she has gotten alot better. We were even able to take her to the beach (3 hours away!) and she slept the whole car trip! So Good luck and just stcik with it!
[notify]