GO!

How do you know your puppy is fully potty trained?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 10:32pm PST 
Rain just turned 4 months on Thursday. I can't remember the last time she's had an accident. When I'm gone I keep her in the mudroom with a baby gate, the room is a pretty decent size and she has NEVER had an accident in there. I also keep her in her crate at night, again, never an accident. The first thing she does when she goes outside is pees/poops. The only thing is, she doesnt let me know when she wants outside, so I just estimate when she needs to go, and let her out. So do you think she's fully potty trained? Or am I just having luck with the right timeing for potty breaks?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 7:13am PST 
The only way to know for sure is if she is reliable at not going in the house ever,no matter the circumstances. She may be potty trained but before you know for sure you'll have to let her have some more freedom without the timimng and see what happens or take her to another place and see how she does indoors,like the vet or Petco. If she goes indoors there ,then she is not fully housebroken.hugwishes
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 12:16pm PST 
It's so tough to gauge that! I remember with Pixie how difficult it was! You're so lucky to not have accidents, Pixie was a whole year old before she was potty trained, and she STILL has accidents when it rains!!! shock

I don't know if I would give too much freedom just yet. Keep up with the great timing, for a couple more months, then maybe extend freedom just a tiny bit, with supervision. I don't trust anything under 18 months old running loose in my house! Haha! I learned that the hard way, over $1000 in damage taught me that! Haha!!!
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 2:11pm PST 
If she has amply space in the mudroom and she isn't having accidents there, or when she's out in the house, I'd say she's probably most of the way there. Going right away when you take her outside is a pretty sure sign that she knows that's where she's supposed to go. Onyx stopped having accidents by three months so it's definitely possible, especially for large breeds, to be pretty well housetrained by her age. Onyx doesn't ask to go out unless he really, really needs to go so I don't take not asking as a sign that the dog isn't housebroken unless they're having accidents.

Gunner makes a really good point though. Just because a dog is housetrained doesn't mean it's trustworthy unsupervised in your house. I would never leave a four month old puppy alone unconfined in my house. Aside from the possibility of damages, the pup could hurt or even kill itself if it gets into something dangerous. Whether she's fully housebroken or not, I'd keep leaving her somewhere safe when you're not home, and taking her out regularly for potty breaks.
[notify]