GO!

Need advice to get puppy to stop jumping

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Luna

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 5:13am PST 
hi everybody. I have a 5 1/2 month old Siberian husky who likes to jump on me and my boyfriend when we come home. She also jumps on our friends when they come through the door. I know that it is disrespectful for dogs to jump. I have tried ignoring her. Putting my knee into her chest when she jumps. I have also tried turning my back towards her when she starts to jump. She just gets so excited. She's 41lbs and that's a lot of weight to be throwing on ppl.

I also need advice to bet her to stop trying to jump on ppl passing by when she's out for her walk.

I'm sort of lost on what to try next shrug
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 7:08am PST 
Does she only do it when you're coming through the door? And does she know the 'off' command?
I would start by when you come in, ignore her completely. If she jumps on you, turn around and leave without a word. Give her 40 seconds to a minute to calm down and try again.

The number one thing is consistency. So the ways you mention won't work if she is allowed to get away with it just one time, or she'll learn that she just can't jump on certain people, but everyone else is fair pouncing!

Edit:
I just saw the walking tidbit, oops.
Does she walk loosely on a leash? And where do you walk? If not that may be your first goal. Dogster Asher has a GREAT article / guide to train Loose Leash Walking (LLW).

You can find it here:
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/418007/diary/A_new_start_for_an_u nwanted_dog/361147

One of the main focuses of LLW is the dog focusing on you, not other people, dogs, birds, or cars.
If using Asher's article, start in your kitchen/living room. Once the pup has a hold of it there, go outside to the backyard, then the front yard, and then you can start advancing to different areas. But for right now, public or busy places might be too much haha. If it's absolutely needed you walk her someplace busy, grab her attention and distract her as people go by. Yummy treats or a tug toy should do the trick! If the person is just too close and you can't get her attention, move back 5 - 10 feet (if you're able to) or start walking the way the person is, so the pup's back is to the person and continue to try and grab their attention and get them to LLW.

Best of luck to you C:

Edited by author Tue Jun 19, '12 7:20am PST

[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 8:03am PST 
Nare's suggestions are excellent, but I suspect a husky pup might need more than that, and btw, she's HUGE for 5.5 months!!! shock

Firstly, I would have her drag a leash whenever you have company over. If she doesn't have a leash it's really hard to correct a behavior. The best method is honestly to give her something better to do, like ask her to sit, but I have a feeling either she's so excited she's ignoring you, or would only sit for a second anyway. If she's totally over the top, I'd just step on her leash so she cannot do more than sit or stand. Just stay there patiently until she calms down. As soon as she's calm praise her and give her a reward. Be really consistent with this and she ought to get the message that calm and sitting is better than popping all over the place.

As for jumping at runners, that needs to be fixed asap before it turns into jumping and nipping at runners. First of all, she shouldn't be allowed enough leash to be able to run over to the other people in the first place. If another person is approaching, reel her in until she's right at your side. Now whip out your treats again (cheese whiz works really well and you can use it to keep her attention and lure her into place). Keep a treat in front of her nose until the other person is completely out of range, then praise her and release. This will also teach her to come to you when there are distractions around, which can be invaluable for a husky.
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 8:58am PST 
I guess I was lucky Nare was never a jumper. laugh out loud He likes all four paws on the ground, a pita when lifting up to put on a vet/groomers table!

I didn't look at her size though, but that is very large for a sibe! Nare was that big at about that age, and he just turned 2 and has rounded out at 90 - 95lb range.

Would you think that, maybe, another alternative is give her a 'go to your crate' command when people first come over, and give her a bully stick or chew to distract her. So when someone knocks/rings the doorbell, she knows if she goes to her crate she gets a treat, and treat > familiar boring people! That way she isn't right at the door when they come in, they can get settled and there is no possibility for her darting out the door? thinking Just a thought!
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 11:35am PST 
I love her markings. Not that I'm biased or anything big grin

Two things that might help: keep your voice and body language calm and relaxed, and give her something to do instead of jumping. Though I think de-escalating the situation and getting her in the habit of sitting at the door as you enter is the first choice, if she isn't getting any better at calming herself enough to sit or down, you might try something physical, like telling her to go get her stuffed bear or roll over. Anything that breaks the pattern of jumping on people and gets her to focus on following commands is an improvement. It's tough to do when you're frustrated, but staying positive is really important. If she can only manage to have her butt touch the floor for half a second, make sure you're down on the floor petting her and praising her right away. That might mean putting down the shopping bags, etc outside the front door before you walk in. If she's not uncomfortable or scared, you can even gently roll her over at that point and start rubbing her belly or holding a chewie for her to chew. Basically you're teaching her that paws or body on the floor= affection and praise. It might be worthwhile to have some practice runs. Go in the front door, tell her to sit, give her a treat. Hopefully, if that association is solid, it will have a fighting chance against her excitement.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 1:31pm PST 
Tanuk's idea is great. When I was training my Rottweilers not to jump I would step on the leash to keep them from being able to jump up. I would also give them a verbal command so they knew not to jump. When people come over I also claimed the area by the door first so that your not pushing an excited dog back while trying to open the door. Tell people when they first come in to ignore the dog until he's calm. I would let him drag the leash around so you can correct him quickly if need be. After awhile your dog will get the idea. Didn't take long for my Rottweilers to learn not to jump up on me unless I asked them too.
[notify]
Luna

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 3:57pm PST 
Tanuk - she's going to be 6 months on Friday. And I agree she's pretty big for her age. She was 35lbs when she first turned 5 months. Mishka our other husky is 2 years old and is 45lbs. So we know she's going to be bigger than mishka.

Lucky me we can have the front door wide open and with the stay command she does not bolt out the door. When the boyfriend and I come home she is crated. I will not let her out of the crate until she is sitting calmly and quietly. But as soon as she's out she starts the jumping which is when I start ignoring and turning my back. But if I'm home, and my boyfriend comes home from work she starts jumping all over him. It doesn't really help the situation that mishka (the other husky) and boomer (standard dachshund) jump on him as well. So it's pretty much a monkey see monkey do situation. She sees them jump on him and of course he's petting them so of course she thinks it's okay. So I'll definitely try getting her into a sit position when ppl come in or even myself and my boyfriend. the leash thing is also a good idea. And of course she has a leash. I also have a harness for her cuz I don't like how she tugs on the leash with a collar.

I don't allow her to walk off leash just cuz I'm afraid she's going yo run away and not listen to my verbal commands. Her leash isn't very long it's your standard size leash. When ppl see her and talk to her that's when she gets excited and starts pulling and tugging on the leash. And when they start elevating their tone of voice and talking to her with baby talk that's when she starts trying to jump. I tell ppl all the time to talk to her normal and wait till she's sitting and calm before approaching her. But they don't seem to listen or understand we're trying to teach her good behavior. So now i'll start bring treats or a toy with us on our walks.

Thanks for the compliments on her markings. Her dad is a red/white husky while her mom is black/white. On the underside of her tail and on the bottom of her back legs she has a nice orangish red color. It's very pretty.

If anyone has anymore advice feel free to give it. I'll try everything just to see what will work for her.
[notify]
Luna

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 8:52pm PST 
Yes nare she only does it when we let her out of the crate when we come home or when one of us is coming Home from somewhere. We crate her at night, and in the morning when we let her out she doesn't jump on us at all. And she does know the off command.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 9:57pm PST 
Once you open the door of the crate, does she remain in her stay/keep calm? Or once you open it does she jump out and on you?

I would open the crate door slowly, and if she makes any excited motions, shut it again. Entering and exiting the crate should be slow and clam.
Have you also tried putting her back in her crate and shutting it, then leaving the room for 40 seconds and retrying?
[notify]
Luna

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 4:22am PST 
Well in the morning when we let her out she doesn't jump, she runs to the door and sits quietly as I put her harness and then we can go outside.

But if we come home from some where and we let her out of the crate after she's calm she gets excited again and starts jumping.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2