GO!

Possible new puppy owner, so what do I need to know?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 9:27am PST 
Well, I am currently in the middle of researching and contacting breeders, but if all goes well, I should have a new family memeber by this time next year. While I have had a few adult dogs in my life, I am a complete novice when it comes to puppies. Even though it's still quite a ways away, I want to be prepared long before I get my new puppy. So, what kind of supplies will I need to get beforehand? What about training, puppy-proofing, and anything that I may be forgetting? Thanks y'all in advance.
[notify]
Luna

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 6:33pm PST 
What breed of puppy are you getting. Maybe it's just me but I have noticed that different breeds require different levels of puppy proofing. For instance my wirehair mini dachshund needed very mild puppy proofing and never needed to be crated when he was a puppy. But Luna my Siberian husky puppy still needs a lot of puppy proofing as she still is very mischievous. You'll need a crate. I personally like the wire crates over the plastic crates just because my first husky destroyed three plastic crates and still managed to get out of them. Natures miracle makes a "go here" spray for housebreaking.They also make good products to remove pet stains. Baby gates or playpens are also a good idea. Some puppies will actually chew on nylabones although none of my dogs have when they were puppies. Some breeders actually have the puppies first shots which are given when the puppy is between 6 - 8 weeks of age but if you happen to get the puppy w/o vaccines and w/o getting dewormed make an appointment as soon as you get your puppy to get the first booster vaccines done also bring a fecal sample in so they can determine whether the puppy is positive for parasites or not. Also remember puppies need 3 sets of puppy vaccines. They should be getting their last vaccine set and that includes the rabies vaccine around 16 weeks of age. Avoid parks and dog parks till your puppy gets all of it's vaccines. I cant think anymore things let me know if you have any questions. You can paw mail me anytime. I have experience with puppies especially since I practically had to wean my Siberian husky puppy.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 6:20am PST 
My favorite tip is no matter what breed of puppy you decide on get on the floor at their level and look for anything that could be a hazard to them. If it even looks like a possible problem,fix it. Curious puppies for some reason seem to gravitate to the most hazardous thing in the room even when we don't realize it's there. Look for electrical cords,dangling wires.sharp edges,Things small enough to swallow or dangerous to chew and get it out of sight,tape up wires and cords,remove plants and decorations,vacuum thoroughly,start doing this about a month beforehand,then even when your puppy is tethered to you,there will be nothing dangerous within reach,sometimes when doing this I have found things I didn't consider would be a problem at first and corrected them anyway and was glad I did.wishes
[notify]

Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 6:46am PST 
This is the emotional information you'll experience... You will not get sleep until you've had the pup for a month. You will become extrmely aware of your surroundings withing minutes of bringing puppy home. You will become all knowing when it comes to poop and pee times. You will think the first time the puppy cries that a trip to the vet is necessary (most likely it won't be). You will realize that a puppy is alot of work! You will curse the Gods on several occasions. You will think you made a mistake (you haven't, you're just tired!) You will wonder what happened to this once sleeping puppy that suddenly found unending energy? laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud I have a friend who hasn't had a puppy in over 20 years. This is just some of the things she went through, and is still going through. Overall, don't be fooled, she love her pup and all of the chaos it has brought to her world! flowers
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 9:37am PST 
The first thing and most important IMHO, is that no matter how cute or how small your puppy is, set rules from day one.

Don't let it jump up on you because it's cute... She'll get bigger and before you know it, it's a major problem. Don't let her use you as a chew toy... Yeah, that's cute, funny and doesn't hurt when she's a puppy but it turns into an issue when all of a sudden, she has adult teeth and decides she wants to play with a three year old...

Start her learning as soon as she enters the house, potty training, sit, stay e.t.c, you'll be surprised how much she can learn at eight weeks old. They're definitely not stupid and if you don't teach her how to bahave from day one, you'll almost certainly have issues later on...

Good luck and when you do finally get the puppy, I want to see pictures puppy
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 11:47am PST 
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm looking for a crate and a puppy gate, and will be puppy proofing very soon. I kind of had a feeling that it would be a challenge, but I think it will be worth it. I've contacted a breeder who is having a litter relatively soon, and I'm on the waiting list. So, if things go as planned we'll have a new furry family member in a few months. He'll be a Standard Poodle. And I will definitely be taking plenty of pictures once he gets home, so you don't need to worry about that smile
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 1:06am PST 
Something to look out for are table cloths, cushions, bed covers, throws and blankets. A friends GSD puppy has a fascination with them. He gets a very interesting reaction when it comes to pulling on table cloths... Also being a poodle, getting him/ her (?) used to clippers and blow driers may not be a bad idea puppy
[notify]