GO!

Puppy woes - help!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 8:02am PST 
Ex pens are your friend! I'd just pop Lu in there with a filled Kong and a couple chew toys when it was break time. I got her in June, so it was nice to have so I could enjoy being in the yard with her. It folded up easily so when we had a cookout/party to go to, I could bring it and set it up in the shade. That way Lu got to socialize, but had a safe spot when it was nap time. If you're looking at buying one, look for a plastic indoor/outdoor one for toddlers. They're often the same exact model made by the same exact company but the doggy ones are way pricier!

I used the crate for housetraining, I had her on a strict schedule for the first 3 weeks after I brought her home at 8wks. I know that sounds rigid, but honestly puppies like structure and she was completely housetrained by 11 weeks. They like knowing what comes next as they learn your household rules. I woke her up at the same time each day, out, play time, meals given at the same time etc. so the rest of the fam could follow it when needed. I would also tether her at times. That worked great for early lead training when I had to do stuff like laundry. I scheduled all my vacation time that summer to start right after she came home. If that's ever an option if/when you get another puppy, I highly recommend it.

It would have been totally fun...except it rained every.single.day for those three weeks for at least a few hours. Seriously, wettest June on record here to this day. Poor pup had to learn potty training in a monsoon. ugh. So I had to get really creative with games in the house, even though we did a bit of walking in the lighter rain.

This too shall pass! meditate You're not feeling 100%, so I bet that's magnifying things...Hang in there. big grin
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 4:13pm PST 
Use the crate or xpen. I find that some puppies just do not have an off switch or they are so scared of missing out on something cause everything is so new and exciting.

Thankfully everything changes weekly with puppies as they grow.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2