GO!

Puppy woes - help!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 12:14pm PST 
I need help, badly. I've got the patience of a saint when it comes to dogs. I've got no problem training dogs - even aggressive ones, socializing, etc, tiring them out. But let's be honest - DOGS have far more attention span than an eight week old puppy does(and can be exercised much more extensively) and I'm now at a loss with the first puppy that's ever been mine and S.O's. I've always rescued adults or adolescents, not puppies.

Here's the thing. S.O works each day, from 7am until 6pm, which is why our work schedules work together so that we can have a puppy - I work evenings and nights. However, I've been recently having some health problems preventing me from going to work and with the pain I'm in, haven't been able to chase around a puppy all day - I now leash her when we're outside, whereas before it was all off leash training, and I am losing energy trying to chase her around the house to keep her from chewing on things like shoes or laptop cords.

Charlie seems really put off by her too - he doesn't want to share his toys with her, he stashes some of them on his chair out of her reach and growls at her if she tries to take them(I don't want to CREATE resource guarding by taking them away from him, but I want him to learn that he has to share too - so far, have been redirecting her from harassing him to other toys for her to play with). But he doesn't care for her much because she has sharp little teeth and has a penchant for nipping his privates(my poor boy). He tells her off as necessary but when I'm chasing around the puppy to discipline her or keep her from biting things, he seems to be looking like he's feeling left out and I'm trying to keep giving him the same attention he always had, but I can just see the jealousy left, right and center.

I need ideas for tiring out Ria without putting myself through more pain, or having Charlie feel left out. 've got chew toys galore, I take her out and play tug with her or train her new commands like 'sit' and 'down' and other such things. But the worst thing of all is her nasty little chewing and biting habit. Constantly nipping at people to play.

S.O does a lot with her when he's home, from playing with her, to training her, to exercising her - but what can -I- do when it's just me around? And how can I balance things out so Charlie isn't feeling so left out? I don't want him to grow to resent her. frown

I admit, I'm getting slightly frustrated and while we have puppy classes we intend to take her to, she can't go to them until she's ten weeks and has her second set of shots.
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 1:20pm PST 
Sita wasn't thrilled when she first realized that Tia was here to stay, but then warmed up to her. Hopefully Charlie will have a change of heart. The only thing that kept me from giving Tia away was lots of exercise. The vet cleared Tia to go on pack walks with us provided she wasn't running & jumping a lot. I realize that you aren't up to that right now. The other thing that helped was tiring her out mentally. We have a puzzle bone, a Buster cube & I made her work for everything (food, treats, love). She's also on a raw diet, so just chewing on bones helps wear her out (also keeps her from chewing everything up). I started teaching her tricks right away. As far as the chasing, keep the pup on a leash either tethered to you or a chair, etc. Tia just recently earned the privilege of being off leash inside. She still wears a leash outside.
Hope this helps & get better soon!!
[notify]
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 2:02pm PST 
When we first got our pup I thought I had lost my mind. All those sharp puppy teeth and being retired I wasn't used to running around chasing a puppy. I really felt frustrated and that is when I found this forum and just hearing from other people that I was not alone and that all these feelings were normal helped me a LOT! Now our puppy is 7 months old and a lot of that mouthing and teething is over (though she still mouths us at least it is gentle).........so though I don't think I have any advice I just wanted to give you a big hug and tell you it has been my experience that it does get betterbig hug
[notify]

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 2:19pm PST 
Until she learns commands like 'Leave It,' 'Off,' 'Drop it,' you might be better off keeping the floor clear of anything she can sink her little teeth into..

It will take some time for the older dog to get used to the puppy.
But it sounds like he is doing a good job of telling her to back off without him being too agressive about it.

I agree with possibly keeping the pup tethered to you until she learns more of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable...That way it is easier to control her more and you do not have to chase her around, just a little tug on her leash to divert her away from whatever 'no-no' action she is doing..

As for Charlie feeling neglected, I would just be sure to give him extra attention and maybe even an extra bone now and then.

Puppy months go by so fast..so just hang in there! hug
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 5:42pm PST 
I'd keep her either confined to the room you're in, in an x-pen, or tethered to avoid having to chase her around. For the first few weeks, Onyx was always confined to the room we were in so he couldn't wander off and chew things he wasn't supposed to have. Put everything movable out of her reach to remove temptation. And if she starts to become too much for you, just give her some time in the crate so you and Charlie can spend some time together. If you and the SO work alternating times, she's likely getting plenty of attention and some down time in the crate won't hurt her.

As far as low effort ways to entertain her, stuffed frozen Kongs, bully sticks, and raw meaty bones are my favorites. You could also try making a flirt pole for exercise.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 10:18pm PST 
Puppy months do go by fast.

What I did with Moose is use a Kong and put every meal in it and let him burn energy that way. Or I'd take some rubber toy of his and shove kibble into any crevice so it would get jammed in there and let him work on getting it out. Or I'd take that doggy cheese whiz they sell with Kongs and I'd put small amounts of that and smear it on the walls of the Kong. That one would really suck up the time.
[notify]

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 9:13am PST 
When I got Harper, I was with a boyfriend who wanted a dog, but didn't want to help at all, so the onus for her every need was on me. Except for the occasional potty break if my ex bf felt like it or remembered.

What really helped me was puzzle toys and raw, meaty bones. You can't watch a puppy 24/7. There's just no way. There's nothing wrong with a little crate time as long as you do some work with the dog during the day. I used to take my puppy on really short walks, come in and do as much obedience as she could stand and then give her a bone.

When she got bored of that, rinse repeat, and usually a couple of those would wear her out per evening. I mean, you have to have time to make dinner, or spend time with your human family and there's nothing wrong with that.

Don't let yourself get so frustrated. If she's on your nerves, crate her for 15 or 20 minutes with a kong or a bone and come back to her when you and Charlie can deal with it. It won't kill her to take a time out in the crate while you're home.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 10:18am PST 
Thanks guys! I feel a little less alone! S.O definitely does his part when he's home - he does EVERYTHING with her when he's home. But when he's not is when it's frustrating, lol. I have been doing crate time with her as per everyone's suggestions and although she will cry for the first few minutes, she quickly settles and goes to sleep.

Tethering her sounds like a fantastic idea too. I also didn't even think of a buster cube or other such puzzle toys - and I own a tug jug! Silly me, lol. I may have to test that out with her puppy food and see how it goes. And yet, I'm the one that makes adult dogs work for everything - why didn't I think of that with a puppy? silenced

I also regularly buy RMB's and should be grabbing some more this weekend so will see how she likes those. She's got a bully stick right now that she's had since we got her - Charlie finished his... and she's still trying to get through even a quarter of it with her baby teeth, bol. But she does love it. She's lying on my feet at this moment munching it.

The great thing about her being so little is Charlie can escape her chomping shark teeth by resting on furniture where she can't reach him yet. I think she's learning good bite inhibition from him, although I wish I knew good ways to teach her a softer mouth.

Yesterday, the neighbor dog came outside and Ria got to play with her, so my friend and I sat in the grass while Sierra and Ria played. It's fantastic, Sierra is great with her and unlike Charlie, loves to play with her, so she burned down a ton of Ria's energy and had her sleeping for HOURS after that, which gave me a nice break too.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 1:41pm PST 
One other thing I thought of too is scattering her food throughout the house or yard..It will take her a while to find it all and it exercises their mind (nose mostly!)..

This past Easter, I did an Easter egg hunt with Frankie in the yard. I hid little plastic eggs with two or three pieces of kibble in it, maybe a smidge of string cheese in another, and he had a BLAST finding them all through the yard!! It took harldy any effort on my part, I just walked through the yard and dropped eggs in random places. Took me 5-10 minutes, max. Then I sat by as he rummaged for his lunch!!

The coolest thing was when we came back in the house, Frankie plopped down on the floor, TIRED!! happy dance
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 10:30pm PST 
Wow! I have to agree that pups can completely wear you out especially when they are so young and have to be watched like a hawk, take them out every hour to 2 hours to potty.
We have a new puppy here too, she is 10 weeks old as of yesterday and I have been wondering if I would get any sleep during her potty training, I don't like crate training (just my thing) so I do get up a lot to make sure my carpet stays like new.
During her training and our 10 month old, Mitchell's training, we use a ton of high value treats to help with coming when called, going potty on command, dropping whatever they are chewing on etc, etc. Work wonders when I have chicken or cheese.
There are some great treat balls that they can roll around the yard even if you have to use a long line, these wear them out physically and mentally, there are also puzzles that require them to think to get the treat, Mitchell gets so excited when I get the puzzles out he can hardly keep him butt on the ground as he is waiting. We also have a basket with all the toys in it which I toss some high value treats into when they are watching, then I release them and away they go, they search through the toys, toss them all out looking and just have a blast. All these searching games wear them out which is exactly what I want.
I have a friend who has the neighbor kids come over as she is recovering from a knee replacement and has a puppy, the kids run the puppy around and play with her for about an hour, the puppy is exhausted for hours and the kids love it.
My grandkids were here overnight last night, boy! my pups were ready to go to bed at 9:30, Madison (the 10 wk old) slept almost all night, yee haw! Loved it but the grandkids wore me out too.
Best wishes and remember this too will pass, probably quicker than you know. I don't even remember how rough it was when Mitchell was Madison's age, but then I had Nakita Mae (now a beautiful Angel) to train him, what a blessing.
dog
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2