GO!

Opinions....anyone?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Roxy

Babyheart

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 10:39am PST 
I adopted Roxy from our local humane society back in December. Since adopting her, she has been the most loving, adorable, sweetheart of a dog. She has gotten quite large since adopting her at her original 12lb size at 8 weeks. She is currently 53lbs and 21" tall at 6 months. She is actually quite lazy for a 6 month old dog, but I have never owned a large breed dog either. Any opinions on breed? The shelter had her labeled as a "Shepherd mix"....not sure how accurate that is. Her temperament follows the guidelines of a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog to a tee, but I know that's a relatively uncommon breed, so I'm skeptical to label her as such.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 11:25am PST 
Well...if she isn't some sort of shepherd/lab/chihuahua/pit/rottie/etc mix...then, yeah, I think it would be possible she has some Swiss Mtn Dog in her. smile

PS, very pretty pup!! ^^
[notify]
Bowser

I love my- squeaky toys!

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 3:20pm PST 
I'm thinking dobie german shepard mix.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 5:38pm PST 
Others may disagree but I see Dane in the ears and face. I don't see Shepherd at all. Either way she's beautiful.
Some dogs like some people are less active. I had a GSD pup that used to lay down for naps in mid walk at a year oldlaugh out loudSabi used to run circles around him.
If the vet says she is healthy I wouldn't worrysmile
[notify]
Roxy

Babyheart

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 6:09pm PST 
Yeah, I have not agreed with their "Shepherd" label since the beginning. She looks nothing like a Shepherd, in color, structure, anything. Her strong black/rust coloration has led me to doberman, rottie, GSMD, etc.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 8:09pm PST 
Swissies are not only rare, but also very large and hard tempered. Your girl's size nor her mushmellow personality match that breed.

She does however look identical to a Shepherd/Dobie mix I work with, and her size and temperament would fit that.
[notify]
Roxy

Babyheart

Barked: Thu May 10, '12 8:21pm PST 
Thanks for the input. My vet seems pretty convinced that Roxy is a Rottweiler mix....but predicted she would only be 60-70lbs. I'm not convinced on the weight prediction, but the breed is probably a possibility.
[notify]
Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Fri May 11, '12 12:05am PST 
shepherds do have her colouring though
[notify]
Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Fri May 11, '12 12:06am PST 
shepherds do have her colouring i can see shepherd in her
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri May 11, '12 2:57am PST 
A lot of people seem to think Rigby either is a GSD or has GSD in her too because of her colourings.

Roxy is a beautiful dog and actually looks very similar to a foster dog I once had. He was supposedly a "boxer x bullmastiff mix" which we nearly immediately discredited.
I'd say Rotti mix could be a good guess.

As for the energy level, Cobain, a Border Collie, acted the same as a pup. Very laid back and lazy.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3