GO!

House training.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Manning

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 12:08pm PST 
I'm having a hard time house training my puppy. He is only 9 weeks old and I've had him since he was 6 weeks old. He gets really distracted, and everytime I take him for potty breaks he wants to play and look at all the kids instead of doing his business. He's decided he'd rather poop and pee inside! I take him out every hour and he does pee a lot of the time, but he doesn't almost poop outside. Is it just because of his age and will this get better? lol. This is my first dog!

He also still cries and howls every time I put him in his crate. I dont know how to get him to like it because he needs to go in there at night and when I go to class.

Edited by author Thu Jan 26, '12 12:09pm PST

[notify]
Emma

Cuddle Bug

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 1:56pm PST 
Are you giving him treats when he does pee out side?

You need to reinforce the behavior that you like by saying "good potty" or whatever phrase you plan on using when he is popping or peeing outside and then give a treat. This way he will want to go potty when you tell him to outside because he will get a treat. Some people even use a special high value treat for potty training, like hot dog.

I also think that you need to take him outside more often when we started potty training we used the twenty minute rule, which is take the puppy out twenty minutes after everything they do like eating, drinking or playing and immediately after waking up from a nap.

You also need to stop the puppy from going in the house he will never learn not to go in the house if he is allowed to do it. So you need to either crate him after he doesn't go outside or you need to tether him to you so you are always aware of what he is doing, so you can see the signs that he needs to go out, for instance sniffing, whining, or making circles.

If you go with the crate method the way it works is that if the puppy does not go within 10 minuets of being outside, then you take them back in and put them in their crate wait 15 minutes and then immediately take them back out to go potty. When they do go you praise them and then the puppy gets free supervised play time.

As for liking the crate the most often used suggestions are to hide treats in it, to feed your puppy in it, or to throw treats in their so the puppy goes in and shut the door for increasing periods of time. My pup was not a fan of the crate at night for the first week but now she loves it and will go in on her own when she thinks we should go to bed, sometimes it just takes time. Best of Luck!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 10:25pm PST 
I've just got a 12 week old cross cocker lab. She was the last in a litter of 6 and struggling to get her settling in her crate. She howls at night and has usually pooped in it by around 5am when I end up getting up with her. How best to deal with this?
[notify]

Natalie

Bossy Aussie

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '12 7:09am PST 
Guest - it is important not to allow her to poop inside her crate, once she is comfortable with messing inside of it the whole crating method will no longer work as well. It sounds like she has not learned to, or she may not be capable, hold her bladder all night. I would set an alarm at first maybe every three hours in order to take her outside allow her to potty and then put her straight back into her crate. It is important not to play with her during these trips outside lest she start to think she can howl and whine for playtime and not just potty breaks.

Good luck with her, we are crate training and potty training Natalie right now too so don't think you're alone!
[notify]
Ranger

Pay attention to- me!

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 7:56am PST 
Manning, I had this problem too. We created a little fenced in area (with chicken wire) for Ranger to use. But we too found he wanted to just goof around and play "catch me if you can" when we tried to bring him inside. Now, I leash him and guide him around the cage and tell him to 'hurry up'. With more restraint, he learned to do his business first, before play time.
[notify]