GO!

12 weeks old puppy digging at/tearing up and eating wee wee pads

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 4:23am PST 
Please need help fast.We have a Boston Terrier and she goes on the wee wee pad when they are down but then she will start scratching at it and eating the cotton.we have said no, changed brands even tried newspaper made loud noises. Since she is so young she goes all the time.right now wee wee training is best due to our work schedules. she has plenty of toys. if we could just leave the wee wee pads down she would be complete but i am constantly cleaning up cause she goes whereever she wants now.she is in a 6x8 playpen with her crate in there (open door). we just started to crate her when we are not home she went in there once, but 99% of the time she goes in there to sleep no problem. any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 9:43am PST 
Charlie was doing that till I got a pad holder like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Out-Training-Pad-Holder/14255225 He was not to bad at tearing his up though. Worth a try and it is easy to use.
[notify]
Bear

I'm a big bad- Bear!

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 9:30am PST 
My pups like to tear them up too. They are pretty okay with the ones around the house, but the one in the crate they would rip up and EAT.

My solution was the make a fabric pad to line the crate with. They still dig at it, but they can't rip it up. smile
[notify]

Charlie

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 12:56pm PST 
I would be careful though about cloth pads. My mother and I got pups from a breeder who had cloth pads for her pups and they think it is ok to use Blankets and such as pee pads. It has been a challenge to stop. I finally got Charlie trained but mom is still having trouble with her two but they are older than Charlie and set in their ways more.
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 1:02pm PST 
I have 3 pee-pad trained dogs...none of them pee on blankets or rugs, etc. They know to use their pads.

I have recently switched to pooch pads, but when Bingley was a puppy he was bad about wanting to chew up the cotton pads, too. I had to consistently use Bitter Apple, and tell him leave it, and he learned. Work on training leave it. Your pup is young, so give it time.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 1:11pm PST 
hmmm...what if you taped the pads down taught to the floor? Tape around all the edges so there's nothing to really nibble on or grab hold to?

I mean, it depends on the pup...and maybe they're so used to tearing them up it won't matter.shrug That's what I'd try anyway.
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 9:55pm PST 
Bingley I was talking about cloth not the normal pee pads. My mom has had most of her past dogs use pee pads without problems. 15ish years ago she got a pup who was used to cloth pads and he was hard to train to not go on blankets. Now she has 2 and I have one from the same breeder who used cloth pads. We are having problems with them using blankets. Just wanted to clarify.
[notify]