GO!

Need help! I can't seem to get my puppy potty trained. No matter what I do.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Oreo

One cute cookie

Barked: Wed Apr 27, '11 8:28pm PST 
I have a female Boston that I've had for 3 weeks and I am having a really hard time training her. I've had bostons before and they were really easy to potty train. She goes as far as eating her poo. Pooping a peeing in her crate. I've made it really small so she won't use the bathroom in there, but it doesn't work. I take her out all the time, but she still uses it in the house. What do I do?
[notify]
Roxy

to PLAY or to- SLEEP?

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 3:47am PST 
diligence. and to stop roxy from eating poop i taught her the leave it command and that worked really well for the stopping of the poop eating among other things like pulling on the kids pant legs and stuff she isnt supposed to chew on.also where did u get her from i mean a breeder or a pet store what kind of living conditions did she have prior to you house? because that situation might have something to do with it too.
[notify]
Clancy

Sir Barksalot at- your service!

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 5:22am PST 
Is she still pottying in her crate after you made it smaller? Do you have puppy pads in the crate with her? Are you tethering?

Clancy is 3 months and hasn't had an accident in about a month, what I did, and what seems to work best, is to keep an eye on them constantly and keep them pretty confined. I still do not allow him to have full run of the house, currently I'm in the office he's in the office, etc.

Some dogs need more confinement than others, but what is important is to keep being diligent, AND keep being consistent. If you're going to tether, tether 100% of the time, if you don't use your method 100% of the time you're going to confuse you're puppy and that is going to set you back further and frustrate you both.

Make sure you're ALWAYS watching her, if you can't watch her, crate her, and have her outside like she is an 8 week old, after naps, after play, after eating/drinking, and just whenever she begins to get antsy. It's work, but if you're truly consistent most puppies will respond quickly and start making progress. Clancy was pretty good by 9 weeks and has not had an accident in the last month.

Hang in there puppy hood can have its frustrating momemnts smile
[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 5:34am PST 
It's not unusual to still be struggling at this age.

That said, you mention in her profile that you got her from a breeder. What sort of breeder were they? I can't imagine they were a good one if they sold her to you "under weight?" If her weight wasn't up to snuff her living conditions might very well have not been either.

If her mother wasn't good about cleaning up after her messes and the breeders weren't either she could have easily gotten very accustomed those first 8+ weeks to eating, sleeping and playing in her and her litters messes. Would definitely explain why it doesn't bother her to mess in her kennel despite your diligence.
[notify]
Oreo

One cute cookie

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 2:23pm PST 
Roxy:
Oreo knows the "leave it" command also. She knows a few commands, although "sit" is a hard one for her hyper booty smile. When we first brought her home she tried it once outside and I told her leave it and she never tried it again. I think she ate it that one time because she had done it in her crate (with the door open) and thought she needed to clean it up. Just my guess from all the things I have read on the subject. I got her from a breeder. I never saw her conditions, and could kick myself by not going to her previous home and meeting the breeders daughter somewhere with her. She said her mother was elderly and didn't do well with strangers. I do remember her saying that she goes really well on newspaper. I am guessing that's why it's going to be really hard to house train her.

Clancy:
Yes, she is still peeing in her crate after I made it smaller. No I don't put puppy pads in the crate with her. Not only do I not believe in puppy pads (I think they encourage your dog to use the bathroom inside), if I did use them, the crate isn't the place to put them because it will let her think she can potty in her crate. The one thing I am trying to keep her from doing. I am going to start tethering her in the house. She has accidents in the house every once in a while, but I am thinking maybe tethering will help solve some of that. I can keep my fingers crossed anyhow. LOL. I take her out after her naps, after eating, after playing and any other time I think she may need to go. I guess she is just going to be a hard one to train. The good thing is that I am a stay at home mom and I have the time to stay on top of it. It's the patience thing that seems to be the hardest sometimes, but we all love her cute little butt and will just stick it out and hopefully this will pass in a short time.
[notify]
Oreo

One cute cookie

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 2:34pm PST 
Trigger:
You have a point about all you said. I'm not sure what you mean by what kind of breeder they were. Can you rephrase that please? I doubt the lady should breed dogs anymore if she can't even have potential puppy parents come to the site and see the conditions. I talked to the lady a few times and she never mentioned that her mother was in fact the one who bred them. I was just so excited to be getting a puppy, that when I saw that she needed some weight put on her, I couldn't say no and let her suffer anymore. I wanted to take her home and give her a great life with us. I am thinking that you are 100% right about the last part. I think she doesn't care too much if she lays in her own pee because she might have gotten used to it where she was bred. This will most likely be a hard one to train, and I am thinking I will maybe have to start setting an alarm just for her, in the middle of the night to go out to pee, until she can go all night without peeing in there. Do you think that is a good idea? I clean up everything with Miracles Nature, and I try not to fuss at her and make sure everyone else knows not to yell at her if she had an accident in the house. She doesn't know what she is being got on to after the fact. I just clean it up and take her back out side. It's just that when I think we are making progress, she back steps again. It's quite frustrating!
[notify]
Oreo

One cute cookie

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 2:37pm PST 
OH, I forgot to mention.......she sleeps with me and her daddy sometimes, and NEVER has an accident in our bed. Is it that she wakes up and just goes in her crate because she can't get out. Should I put her crate in the bedroom with us and see if that helps?
[notify]
Cocoa

Hot Cocoa!

Barked: Sat Apr 30, '11 5:17pm PST 
Since I know you, lol...when she was in the smaller more portable crate in your room did she have accidents in it then or is this since the crate change?
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Sun May 1, '11 3:08pm PST 
With puppies, especially one with training trouble you must be 100 % consistant. She should always sleep in a small crate next to your bed. At her age you should expect to have to take her out every 3-6 hours overnight, take turns getting up with her.

Tether her to your waist during the day, be on the look out for signs she may need to go.

Teach her to ring a bell on the door handle - this was a sanity saver with Pepper, who was a very piddley puppy.

When she does go potty outdoors - immediately praise and reward with a special treat that is ONLY for potty training success. This is key to success. If there are clear benefits to potty outside, she will seek to repeat that behavior. Teaching her to alert with a bell provides her the opportunity for success.

Always take her out to toilet on the leash and right back indoors. Don't mix business with play time.
[notify]
Oreo

One cute cookie

Barked: Sun May 1, '11 5:21pm PST 
Cocoa, yes, she still peed in there too.
Pepper, how do you train your dog to ring a bell?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2