GO!

When do puppies loose their "puppy fur"

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Roxy

to PLAY or to- SLEEP?

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 4:52am PST 
HI jut wondering when puppies loose their first puppy fur for a more permanant coat. I have noticed roxy's fur is getting ALOT softer all over. the fur on her back legs and near her butt is still coarse feeling but her head and shoulders feels all silky.and is extremly shiney. and i can see very shiney pieces of fur all over her in the sunlight. is this her new coat? its been awhile since i had a puppy. is this because she is getting healthier her coat is coming in better? also she is starting to get orange freckles all over where her white fur is.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 5:18am PST 
As young as eight weeks you will see the change in coat in many shorthaired breeds right at the base of the tail. This usually works up the spine and then down over the rest of the body over the first 5 or 6 months. The head is usually the last to change over. The puppy hair loss is not usually evident as it is a gradual process.
With coated dogs like my poodles the change is first evident as a different texture in the hair closest to the body and you can watch it move out as the hair grows. Their hair will actually change in the length of the shaft where a short haired dog usually just sheds out the puppy hair and replaces it with the adult.
[notify]
Roxy

to PLAY or to- SLEEP?

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 3:41am PST 
i guess that sort of helps. thanks. she is deffo shedding. so idk. she is still cute as anything no matter what her fur looks like smile
[notify]

Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 4:40am PST 
And with breeds that blow their coat, like Malamutes, you usually see a change with both blows the first year.
[notify]
holly

THROW THAT- BALL!!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 5:43am PST 
my dogs summer coat is much softer than their winter coat. In the winter they are only soft after a bath for a couple days but in the summer they are soft all the time unless filthy, And they both lose a lot of hair around the neck at this point of the year and their necks are soo silky. I would bet it is a spring shed kind of thing with your new pup explaining part of the new changes.
[notify]