GO!

How big will my Boston Terrier be?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Lily

Silly Lily

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 1:17pm PST 
I adopted a female Boston Terrier/Pug puppy. At 8 weeks, she weighs 5lbs. How big do you think she will get?

How big were your puppy at 8 weeks?

Edited by author Tue Nov 30, '10 6:30am PST

[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 2:15pm PST 
There is no such thing as a "Toy" Boston Terrier and whoever told you that pulled a fast one on you.

I sincerely doubt that a 8 week old pup will only double its weight to achieve grown size.

But, you could always ask how heavy the parents were. How big were the parents when you saw them? (Assuming you saw them?) That's always a good gauge.
[notify]
Gunner

daddy's boy

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 2:37pm PST 
she looks around the same size that Gunner was at that age. He is now almost 9 mnths old and around 20lbs. He is very short and muscular and no where near as tall as his parents were. I have never heard of a "toy" boston....sounds like a name to get more money.
[notify]

Lily

It's play time- ALL the time

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 7:37pm PST 
Our Lily is a Boston Pug mix, almost 11 months and she's about 20 pounds. I don't see her getting any bigger. She's a pretty lean dog. If she did gain more weight I don't think she would gain anymore than 10 more pounds.
[notify]
Gunther

Muffin Lips.

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 9:32pm PST 
Oh no, not the "toy" Bostons again...

Well, she's adorable in any case. I was also told by a "breeder" that Gunther would grow to be under 10 lbs. Right! He's almost six months old and already 12. I'm not sure how big he'll get, and I could care less if he grew to be 100 lbs laugh out loud, but he will certainly be bigger than the "breeder" said he was going to be.

I learned on Dogster my mistake, getting a puppy from somoene like that. Next time, I'll be getting another rescue or going to a reputable breeder.
[notify]
Lily

Silly Lily

Barked: Wed Sep 29, '10 6:55am PST 
Well, lesson learned...

The person I purchased Lily from said she was watching the litter for her friend while her friend was on vacation. She said the parents were with her friend. However, she said they weighed 12lbs and 8lbs. I probably shouldn’t have taken Lily without seeing the parents… but it was love at first sight!

Also, the ad for the puppies said they were born July 13, 2010. When I took Lily to the vet, the receptionist noticed that on the vaccination sheets we were given it says her birthday is July 28, 2010. We called the person we got her from and asked... she said her friend made the ad for her and put the wrong date by accident. This means, Lily would have just been turning 7 weeks the day after we got her... we thought she was 9 weeks. She should have still been with her Mom and who know how long she had already been away from her mom! It also means she wasn't as small as we thought... for 9 weeks she was pretty small but not for 7 weeks!

It really doesn't matter to me how big she gets but it would just be nice to know for when buying a carrier, crate and such!

Thanks for the feedback smile
[notify]
Ziva *RIP*

Ruff N Tuff Diva

Barked: Wed Sep 29, '10 7:08am PST 
I would highly suspect your puppy came from a broker and not this lady's friend. I bought a westie years ago and got a similar story from the lady who was selling her, and found out she was from a puppy mill/broker, that the 'supposed' friend had bought the puppies to sell. As you've been told there is no such thing as a 'toy' Boston Terrier. Lily is adorable, but working for a vet, the smallest Boston I've ever seen is about 10# with most ranging up to 20#. With being 5# at 7 weeks you are probably going to be around 15-20#.

Edited by author Wed Sep 29, '10 7:09am PST

[notify]
Sophie

Barked: Sat Oct 2, '10 7:24pm PST 
I have been told you can double their weight at 4 months and have a fairly good indication of what their full grown weight will be.

Sophie was 4lbs when we brought her home at 9 weeks, she was 6lbs at 4 months, and is now 9lbs at 6 months.
Her mom was 12lbs and dad was 14lbs so I know she is going to stay on the smaller side. Plus she is fed a raw diet so their growth pattern is slower. I am guessing that Sophie will be about the same size as her mom when she is full grown.

I hope that helps

also there is no "toy" boston terriers there is just a wide range in breed standard 10-25 lbs. I have met so many different BT's and they are all so different but still so much the same!

Edited by author Sat Oct 2, '10 7:26pm PST

[notify]