GO!

How warm do puppies need to be?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Penny

Super-dawg!

Barked: Sun Jan 10, '10 6:49am PST 
Our puppy's "Long term confinement area" is a room off our kitchen. I guess it's supposed to be a pantry or something...it's about 10x10 and has two windows. We have shelves there but we've carefully moved everything chewable off the bottom two shelves.

There's no radiator in this room...just in the kitchen which is connected by a doorway (no door). But it does get a little colder than the rest of the house. It's 4°F out right now and I'd bet it's about 65°F in there whereas the rest of the house is about 70-72°. It's comfortable for a human wearing a sweater, but the tile floor does feel chilly on bare feet.

Our puppy will sleep in her crate in the bedroom with us, which stays pretty warm. And we won't leave her alone for very long (2-3 hours max) in the first few weeks. And she has a covered crate to go in. I'm just wondering if I should buy an electric heater to keep it warmer for her? I guess I'd have to leave it in the kitchen, cause I wouldn't want her chewing the cord...?
[notify]
kai

why are they not- all bowing?

Barked: Sun Jan 10, '10 8:01am PST 
I agree no heater in the room with the puppy!!!!!! How long for long time confinement, a few hours would make the crate a better option I would think, that is what we do with Kai. But if it is for a full 8 hours and you feel better with the room to potty and such then just put down a blanket or bed to keep puppy off the chilly floor 65 is not too cold, in fact both my dogs are well insulated hot blooded dogs, they prefer the coolest spots in the house.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Jan 10, '10 9:40am PST 
You might look into getting a SnuggleSafe. They're safe, they'll hold heat for more than the length of time you need, and the pets I know love them. big grin

That link is just one of many; you can get them through Amazon or a bunch of other places.
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Jan 10, '10 8:38pm PST 
If she has a warm soft bed with blanket to snuggle into, your puppy should be fine for a few hours in the daytime while you are gone.

Ummm unless she is a really delicate breed. Maybe ask your breeder if she has special needs.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Jan 12, '10 10:59am PST 
I’d think as long as it’s not drafty, and the puppy has blankets to bury under, she should be fine. way to go
[notify]