GO!

When do boys start lifting their legs to pee?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 9:48am PST 
Kit will be 6 months old this friday and he still hasen't ever lifted his leg to pee.

I'm kind of worried for when he starts because we live in an apartment building, he is trained to pee on pee pads on our pourch as well as to go outside on the grass. I don't know how well the pee pads will work anymore once he starts lifting his leg and don't really want to have to clean pee off the side of the house everyday.

How old are toy breeds usually when the males start lifting their legs?

Also, I need to take Kit to the vet this week for his 6 month heartworm and lyme testing. I'm going to talk to the vet then about getting him neutered. They already told me they like to do it at 6 months. If I get him neutered before he ever lifts his leg will he still eventaully do it? Is it bad to get him neutered before he does it? Like does it mean he's not fully developed yet and that I should wait a little longer or anything??

Thanks in advance for responses smile
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 9:56am PST 
If you get him neutered, it will HELP prevent him from lifting his leg, but it may not completely prevent it. Getting him neutered is best anyhow and will prevent other behaviors that you probably don't want.
[notify]
Bandit

Life is GOOD:)

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 11:37am PST 
Bandit only lifts his leg if he is peeing were another male has peed. He is a year and 7 months old and still mainly squats to pee. He was fixed at 8 weeks old. This weekend he did hike his leg to pee on our friends tent when we were camping.silenced I agree with what Bam Bam said if you go get him neutered now it will help with marking and other behavior problems.
[notify]

Teddy

tennis ball- destroyer

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 11:40am PST 
We got Teddy neutered early (too early, I wouldn't do it now), and he still, at three years old, doesn't lift his leg to pee.
[notify]
Silk, CGC,- FM, TFP-II

I'm the guard- dog! Mom! Save- me!!

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 11:40am PST 
Silk didn't start lifting his leg until he was 5 years old and Marvin was at least three!
[notify]
Meepster- (Meep Meep)

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 11:41am PST 
Some males just never lift their leg.

Chance is 10 or 11 years old and has never ONCE lifted his leg to pee. His is not neutered. Meepster is 10 months old, was neutered at about 6 months and started lifting his leg at 7 months AFTER he was neutered. I don't think you can really predict these things. If your dog is going to lift his leg, he will probably do it soon, though. Getting neutered helps, I've heard... but, I've never noticed. So...
[notify]
Hucky

Have Teeth, will- Chew

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 12:21pm PST 
Huck is 1 1/2yrs old and still doesn't lift his leg. I like it that way. My bushes stay green and my flowers don't die. laugh out loud
[notify]
Sadie

Is it nap time- yet???

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 12:34pm PST 
My cousin Zak who's a 9 year old golden Retriever doesn't lift his leg to pee either. He's also neutered.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 1:23pm PST 
Tanuk never lifted his leg until he saw other males at the park doing it. If your dog is never around other male dogs like that he might never lift his leg. Also, Tanuk only started lifting about a month ago and he's 9 months now, almost 10.
[notify]
Shooter Wilson

Mr.Positivity

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 1:33pm PST 
some never lift their leg!
i would suspect that neutering would help
and def. prevent marking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5