GO!

My tail hasn't started to wag yet! Help!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Yogi

I love my new- family!!!

Barked: Tue May 5, '09 8:13am PST 
Yogi is almost 12 weeks and his tail isn't wagging yet. His sister's has been wagging for a few weeks now, but I was wondering why his hasn't started wagging yet.

Not a big deal, but I was just wondering at what age this usually happens...
[notify]
MaggieMay

Queen Of The- Universe

Barked: Tue May 5, '09 12:52pm PST 
I have seen puppies as young as 4 weeks wagging their little tails.

Maybe he has.........dead tail? Lol I really don't know. Are you sure your just not missing it?

Maybe he doesent feel well?

I honestly have never heard of a puppy that never wagged its tail.
[notify]
Yogi

I love my new- family!!!

Barked: Tue May 5, '09 1:34pm PST 
I don't know..I'm kind of worried about it now from your post! He has a dysfunctional tail!
[notify]

Pookie

A- Pookiechu...Cute- r than a bunny!

Barked: Tue May 5, '09 1:43pm PST 
I didn't wag my tail until about 14 weeks or so. Ever since then when someone says my name or I think they are talking about it it's wagging!
snoopy
[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Tue May 5, '09 1:45pm PST 
You know, I can't ever think of a puppy that didn't wag it's tail from about three weeks of age. These were labs, Frenchies, or poodle puppies. I would suspect there is some kind of tail nerve damage going on there. He doesn't move it at all?????????????
[notify]
Yogi

I love my new- family!!!

Barked: Tue May 5, '09 1:54pm PST 
Beanster - no, he doesn't move it at all yet. We're hoping he will soon! I can ask the vet on Saturday when we take him to get his 3rd set of vaccinations.

Pookie-this is encouraging. Hopefully by around 14 weeks Yogi will start wagging away, too!
[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Tue May 5, '09 2:22pm PST 
Wow, Yogi. That is strange.
One time Mom rolled her chair over my tail. It was fine until the middle of the night, then I started screaming and screaming. Mom felt it, it was broken so she had to put a splint on it so I could go back to sleep. She took me to the vet the next day.. they said the end could be "dead" from the break on, but it wasn't and after splinting it for a few weeks it was okay, but I still have a big lump there.
[notify]
"KEVLAR"

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 8:01pm PST 
Boy i just got a 4 month old Irish wolfhound puppy and he hasn,t wagged his tail either .I hope it,s just because he is shy and still uncertain about his surroundings .I,ve only had him going on 2 weeks .
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 6:03pm PST 
Does he even hold it up? Or does it just lay there all limp all the time?

Neither of my dogs are big on wagging. Ava will get a "helicopter tail" when she's really excited, like when she's greeting us, or she'll wiggle the very tip of her tail if she's nervous, but otherwise she doesn't wag.

Nix wags even less. He doesn't wag in greeting, or during play, or anything. The only time he wags his tail is when he's "flirting" with another dog. He expresses his happiness in different ways, but I like that about him. smile

Some dogs just aren't tail-waggers, and that's alright (I prefer dogs who aren't total wigglebutts, personally) but if your puppy's tail just hangs there totally limp off his bum the whole time then there might be something else going on. Hopefully it's nothing serious. :o

Edited by author Mon Oct 29, '12 6:07pm PST

[notify]