GO!

Puppy really sleepy after shots??

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Bella

I'm Bella..- Killer of- flowers.

Barked: Sat Mar 28, '09 4:06pm PST 
Bella had her 12 week shots today (at 13 wks old)
*2nd distemper combo + 1st lymes*
Assuming the breeder didn't lie about giving the 1st distemper herself, as she couldn't give any info on the brand or anything that she administered.

However, Bella has been very sleepy the rest of the afternoon.
She did eat some lunch, but after going potty went back to bed. shrug

I wanted to call the vet, but they closed before she got her shot even.
(we went to the affordable vaccination clinic at Petco)

Does anyone know if its normal for puppies to get sleepy..
I don't remember my westie mix being this lethargic.
(But he was also not as tiny as her)
[notify]
Toby

As if I could- get cuter!

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 2:34am PST 
Toby didn't have huge problems with his second, but his first were a nightmare. He had them done at 9am and by 3pm he hadn't eaten, hadn't drunk, and seemed completely pooped, when he wasn't sleeping he was wobbling about.
Needless to say he got rushed in to the vets. Apparently this is all completely normal, it makes them feel quite ill. So long as they eat something and drink something before you go to bed for the night, it's fine.
It is tricky for little dogs because in order to get their certification they must have the full dose of vaccines, that is a lot of chemicals for little pups to deal with. If you still feel that something is wrong tomorrow then get in and have him checked over, there should be no charge for post vaccination checks.
[notify]
Bella

I'm Bella..- Killer of- flowers.

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 8:05am PST 
Thanks for sharing your experience Toby.

I'm back to my regular self this morning. dancingcheerdancing
[notify]

River

Always hug your- puppy...

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 8:22am PST 
cheercheer Bella....so happy to hear you are feeling better!!cheer I too felt a little punky after my shotsfrown
[notify]
Dot

What do you mean- I'm a terror?

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 10:00am PST 
Glad you're feeling better! Dot had her 3rd round AND rabies shot a few weeks ago, she was zonked out for the rest of the day & pretty listless the next day. But then she was back to her crazy self! (nice while it lasted! laugh out loud )
[notify]
In loving- memory of- Cinnamon ~

A truly good dog- never really- leaves

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 11:23am PST 
It's normal.

Not all dogs get sleepy after their shots, but many of them do. Cinnamon is four years old and she STILL gets sleepy when she gets a shot.
[notify]