|Barked: Wed Dec 17, '08 7:29am PST |
|It sounds like you could be hitting the "teenage years".
If this were my dog and I was *sure* he was just being a big brat and there were not any other problems (once again it is hard to tell over the internet) this is what I would do:
1. Start NILIF. He has to earn *everything* good in his life.
2. You practice obedience with the dog when he's not being a brat around the door. (From your responses, it seems like he's doing this during arrivals and leaving.)
3. Make departures or arrivals NO BIG DEAL (Yaaaaaaaaaaawn...booooooooring.) Do not pay attention to him until he's been calm for 15 minutes. I am wondering if he's learned that if he goes bananas than calms down, he'll get a cookie. So hey! Lets go crazy again and get another cookie!!! I think giving him attention "right away" may be contributing to the problem. In this case, I'd lower the intensity levels and stop the cookies.
4. Do not give him opportunity to practice this behavior when you can't "deal with it". If you have to leave, make sure he is outside, in his crate, or behind a closed door. Don't let him anywhere near the door unless you have time to work on training.
5. "Dealing with it". When you have time, I'd set him up, and make sure he has a leash trailing from his collar. Go through your leaving routine, and when he acts up, calmly escort him to a HORRIBLE PLACE OF BANISHMENT for about 5-10 minutes. This should not be his crate or anyplace you want him to be comfortable. With Chandler, I had a short leash tied to the bathroom door, FAR AWAY from any activity in the apartment. He could sit or just barely lie down, it was horribly boring, and since he wanted to be with me, it was probably one of the worst things that could happen, in his viewpoint. When banishment time is up, nonchalantly release him, wait 10 minutes while ignoring him, and try the door routine again.
I'll caution once again, this applies to brats. If there is a more serious problem, you need a professional.
Edited by author Wed Dec 17, '08 7:34am PST
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|