GO!

How long does it take to recover from spaying?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Maddie

Maddie-the- sweetie wheatie

Barked: Sat Oct 4, '08 3:41pm PST 
Does Anyone know how long it will take to recover from spaying Maddie is scheduled to be spayed the week before thanksgiving. I was just wondering will she have recovered enough to travel with me over the holiday.
[notify]
Sasha

Sasha- The itty- bitty Ballerina

Barked: Sat Oct 4, '08 3:55pm PST 
I just got Spayed on Friday October the 3rd and was given instructions not to take my cone for two weeks.. you should be fine to go places, but just ask your vet if it is alright. All dogs recover differently.snoopy
[notify]
Olive

Olive the Other- Reindeer

Barked: Sun Oct 5, '08 8:08am PST 
Olive was mentally fine the next day. She didn't care at all.

We really had to watch her though because of it. It was hard to keep her calm and she did end up ripping out her staples and having to be resutured. frown
[notify]

Roxy Marie

<333 Life Can't- Get Any Better!- <333

Barked: Sun Oct 5, '08 9:36pm PST 
Roxy was trying to jump and play the day after her surgery. We had to block off all the couchs and close all the doors to make sure she didn't jump up. She was generally tired and her tummy was tender. After a week she had her sutures removed and she was completely fine. Even a day or so before she was healed up! It really depends on the doggy though! My cousins dog took about 2 weeks to fully recover... If your doggie is high - spirited like Roxy I think a week will be more than enough! Just make sure to ask your vet to be sure!

[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 1:42pm PST 
Every dog is different. Daisy came home the same day no cone. She was fine. She was a bigger suck then even usual and the next day she was back to her normal self. I just tried my best to make sure she didnt jump on the bed or anything herself.
[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 3:10pm PST 
If she heals anything like MAya did. It would be fine to take her on vacation. The only rules the vet had for Maya was : 1. no playing with other dogs for a week or two, and 2. no jumping and running around like crazy for about a week or two. But Maya also had it done by lazer and I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes. I know that it is supposed to heal faster and is less likely to get infected or puffy. So if you get it done by lazer then she will be ready to go with you within the week as long as everything goes well...but all dogs are different.

ADD: if you do laser you don't have to go back for a follow up. I'd say don't take her on vacation if your going to have to get sutures removed....with Maya's she didn't have anything that needed to be removed... If anything I'd talk to your vet and see what they think about it depending on what way they are doing it.

Edited by author Mon Oct 6, '08 3:12pm PST

[notify]
Maddie

Maddie-the- sweetie wheatie

Barked: Wed Oct 8, '08 5:40pm PST 
Thanks for the advice I hope it is laser and not sutures. I think I will call and ask. I am thinking of rescheduling for the 14th then she will have at least 14 days before we have to travel. Would it be bad to have the surgey almost 2 weeks before she turns 6 months or does she need that time to grow? It is going to be really hard for my little wheaten to control herself when there are so many new people to meet.
[notify]