GO!

Collie/Catahoula Mix??

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Cago-ESD-CGC

Fun in the Sun,- where da Sun go?

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '08 10:39pm PST 
Okay, for the last 8 months sense we aquired Cago we were under the assumption she was a Rough collie/Catahoula Leopard Dog Mix, but now that she's finally growing into herself, she really dosn't have the size of either. I know I know, she could be just small for it, but a few pics I've taken of her makes me think maybe a bit of she might have something else in her.

So any geusses? I've posted some more recent pictures to help. Look at the Size compared to the Border collie Mioka the Neighbor's dog BOL. I think she's gonna be my tiniest Dog yet BOL.
[notify]
charlotte- ♥

must...- not...blink...

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '08 10:50pm PST 
I would have no doubts in saying you're part 'houla! There is a wide standard for weight in Catahoulas and at 8 months old, you'll fill out a little more, too. If you look at my pics, my spots don't show up very well, although they do in real life. My spots are camera-shy!
I'm 55 pounds (60 in the winter red face) and I'm a 'houla/lab mix. Looks like you have some herding instinct, too? Be prepared for energy.... LOTS of energy!!! 'Houlas are a remarkable breed- they're not for everyone but you will have a best friend for life! There are a few active 'houlas on Dogster if you ever need advice.
We love seeing puppy 'houla pics because Mom got me when I was 9 months old and never saw me as a baby.
[notify]
Cago-ESD-CGC

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '08 10:55pm PST 
Thanks Charlotte, I think I confused you by saying we got her 8 months ago, She was about 8 weeks when we got her and figure her to be at or around 1 year of age now.
[notify]

Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '08 11:09pm PST 
Have you considered Catahoula/Australian cattle Dog? I see Blue Heeler all over her face and her body positions. I do not see the long profile or differently set eyes of the Collie. Those Heelers sure do get around. Can't anyone get them to hold still long enough to spay or neuter them? I can say that because I had a Heeler/Aussie and she was never still! And yes, she had pups before I got her. 3 GSD and 2 Black Lab. A lot of puppy for a little 34 pound dog to carry.
We are sure Lily has ACD in her, too, with Basenji and Greyhound. Interesting mix.
Your dog is adorable and has fun written all over her.
[notify]
Cago-ESD-CGC

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '08 11:46pm PST 
Lily- Thats what were thinking to, but the Shelter we got her from acctually said they knew the mix to be Collie/Houla. But sense's she's grown a bit sense we got her she dosn't seem to have much of a RC to her at all LOL
[notify]
Sadie

I'm not going- to...and you- cant make me!

Barked: Sat Jun 7, '08 7:43am PST 
I see catahoula border collie actually. The way your crouching is very border collie, they like to crouch and keep close to the ground when we are herding (whether that be sheep or a frisbee) And while your coloring is likely catahoula, borders can carry the merle gene too. Im not seeing aussie, you seem to have longer legs like a border too. Oh and almost every time I have ever seen a collie mix, the shelter/seller almost always means border collie.blue dog

Edited by author Sat Jun 7, '08 7:46am PST

[notify]