GO!

Weight of Bloodhound puppy

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Copper

Live to love and- love to eat!

Barked: Fri May 23, '08 9:55am PST 
I bought a 10-week old Bloodhound puppy a week ago. He is in excellent health but seemed a little thin to me. He's been eating good this week and gaining weight. I took my Jack Russell to the Vet today for shots and another Bloodhound puppy was there. The lady said he was 10-weeks old. Her puppy was much larger than my Copper. Approximately how much should a 10-week old male Bloodhound weigh? Either mine is less than 10-weeks or hers is more. I have pictures of Copper on my Dogster page if it will help. My JRT weighs 16lbs and Copper is bigger than he is.

Thanks!
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Fri May 23, '08 10:51am PST 
I don't know.. but I had to stop in to say Copper is absolutely precious! cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9
[notify]
Copper

Barked: Fri May 23, '08 11:21am PST 
Thanks Kaiser! I'm new to the site and I'm still creating my Corral but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I love dogs! I have five rescues: Mattie & Tater, found in the middle of a state highway when they were six weeks old; DogDog and Sara, mother and daughter that were abandoned by my neighbor; and Daisy, a Bluetick hound that we rescued. Copper (my Bloodhound) and Kipper (my Jack Russell) are my only "bought" dogs.

Your pupster is precious too BTW!
[notify]

molly(we miss you baby girl)

not your- ordinary gal

Barked: Fri May 23, '08 12:56pm PST 
I've never had a bloodhound! but Copper sounds in the Ideal wieght rane for a bloodhound puppy!blue dog My neighbor has a bloodhound and he has always been alittle on the skinny side but after all he is a hound! Copper is Cute!! BTW you are in tennessee just like me and my pups! blue dog Oh and if this helps.. molly(lab mix pup) just turned 3 months and she is 13 pounds! happy dance Copper sounds like a giant compared to her! snoopy hope Copper grows to be a big strong bloodhound!! way to go
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Fri May 23, '08 1:43pm PST 
I am not sure how much a bloodhound puppy should weigh, but as long as he is healthy and gaining weight, you don't have anything to worry about. Do not worry about your puppy being thin; all of your puppy's energy should be used to growing taller and bigger - if your puppy is fat that means you are feeding him too much. In addition, it is better for large breed puppies to grow slowly to help their bones and joints form correctly. It is best not to over feed a large breed puppy to encourage faster growth - your puppy's adult size will not be determined by how fast he grows as a puppy but rather by genetics. As long as your puppy has good quality food and appropriate exercise he will grow up just fine so don't put too much emphasis on how much he weighs right now.
[notify]
Copper

Barked: Fri May 23, '08 3:14pm PST 
Thanks Bosley. I was mostly concerned that there might be something wrong with him since he's so much smaller than the one I saw today but he certainly does seem healthy. He runs and plays and he eats good so I guess all is good. I've been around a lot of adult Bloodhounds but not pups so I didn't know how big they were supposed to be at this age. He could also be the runt since I didn't see any of the other puppies in his litter.

My Bluetick is four and she is thin so it might be normal. She weighs 7olbs and still looks thin to me. I don't really want Copper to get extremely heavy since he's young and Bloodhounds can develop joint problems. He will go to the Vet next Saturday for a checkup and his rabies vaccination so I'll have them give him a good lookover.
[notify]