GO!

How much Water do you give your Puppy?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Olive

Beware of my- Shark teeth!

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 7:16am PST 
I don't know how much water to give Olive. Currently I give her the following:
2 cups at 7am breakfast - 1/2 cup after our walk in the morning
2 cups at 12pm lunch - 1/2 cup after our walk in the afternoon
1.5 cups at our 6pm dinner and then maybe some ice cubes if she's being good before bed.

I don't like to give her any water after 7pm - because she has to pee all the time.

Basically, I think I'm giving her about...8 cups a day...give or take. However, I find that whenever we go outside, all she wants to do is lick or drink puddles and then when we're inside, she wanders around in the kitchen just whining for water. Am I not giving her enough? I've been very strict about it so she doesn't pee every 10 minutes - but what's the proper amount?
[notify]
Olive

Olive the Other- Reindeer

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 7:51am PST 
We leave her water bowl full and out all day long and take a portable one with us if we go to the park or the beach. It's already 80+F here and we absolutely do not want to risk dehydration.
[notify]
Champ

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 7:56am PST 
Water is never and has never been measured out for Champ. He's a puppy and he runs and plays and he gets thirsty alot.

On occasion he plays in his water - typical lab - so we put it up for a little bit so he can't play in it... or we hold the bowl and when he starts trying to play and not drink, then we take it away and when he's not looking put it back down so he can come back later for more when he needs it.

He never gets a full bowl of water.... well he doesn't have a normal water bowl - he has a glass mixing bowl because the normal food & water bowls, he picks up and carries - thus dropping all food or water onto the floor. So we have a medium size glass mixing bowl so he can't carry or chew it and he gets half a bowl of water and when it's empty, he sits in front of us after his last drink and we fill it up for him.

At night we take it up usually within an hour or two of bedtime... but if he gets playing at that point, we give him a little bit cuz we can tell he's panting and thirsty.

I think food should be measured, but water should be there constantly until a couple hours before bed. That's just my opinion and how we've done it.
[notify]

Kiko-chan

I'M the cute- one~

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 7:56am PST 
I leave water out for Kiko at all times .. same with my adult dogs. Kiko gets to playing so much sometimes that she's just thirsty after - I put her water/food in the pen where she sleeps since it's a larger sized crate and she'll paw at it if she wants in to get a drink. Sometimes in the middle of the night, I'll hear her get a drink of water - but she lays right back down - last nite was her 4th night in a row sleeping from 11:00 p.m. till 6:30 or 7 in the morning - actually since today was Saturday and no work for me she let me sleep in until 7:45 - woohoo!!

I've never rationed out water though for my dogs - I'm curious as well if others do -
[notify]
Reginald Cornelius

I am a handsome- devil

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 8:00am PST 
Same here we have the water out for everyone all day, everyday. It's at different heights, because of the different sizes of dogs, but other then that it's always there.
[notify]
Princess- Kitana

mother hen,- behave children- behave

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 8:02am PST 
she should have access to water at all times. this is NOT something you have to worry about her getting too much of. and it sounds to me like she's not getting enough if she's going for every puddle she see and is crying for it. at night i can see you not letting her have as much but during the day she can have a much as she wants. panting will make her thirsty. our water bowls are filled at all times.
[notify]
Molly

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 8:16am PST 
molly's water bowl stays filled at all times smile
[notify]
ღAva

It wasn't me who- stole your- socks!

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 8:21am PST 
Like everyone else has said I leave a bowl of water out for Ava, I change it every morning when she gets breakfast, she plays so hard she needs water out free range!
[notify]
Tallulah

I pretty much- will rule the- universe.

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 8:37am PST 
I have 3 dogs and a cat that share one of those water dishes with a big jug that empties into the dish. Its always there. I do need to stop 'Lulah from drinking right before bed though.
[notify]
Olive

Beware of my- Shark teeth!

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 9:15am PST 
Thank you all so much for your advice! I was told to only give her a specific amount of water - but I can see that I was wrong. I will most definately leave her water bowl out from now on and always give her access!

Thanks for the help! It's tough being a new mommy!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9