GO!

Taking a puppy away too early

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sumo- Wrestler

"Cock of the- Walk"

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 12:01pm PST 
What are the scientific facts about taking a pup away too early?

My daughter-in-law wants to bring a puppy home at 4 ½ wks and I'm trying to tell her that it isn't good for the pup in many ways. I'm not being very articulate because of medication induced brainfuzzitis...basically she calling me an idiot because her all-knowing-walks-on-water-can-do-no-wrong mother says it is fine to do.

So, can someone give me some proven evidence (not just opinion) to convince her to let the puppy stay with its mom please?

FWIW: It is not illegal in my state to take the pup away early. The puppy is being given to my dil and not sold to her. The person giving the puppy is not a breeder but an old lady who had her stolen dog returned pregnant.

TIA
[notify]
Maya

PaperQueen

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 12:08pm PST 
Puppies aren't supposed to be weaned from there mother until they are 6 weeks and if the mother stops taking care of them they still need to be bottle fed until they are at least 6 weeks. It's good for puppies to stay with their siblings until they are 8 weeks because they learn biting inhibition and manners from each other. We got Maya when she was 6 1/2 weeks old and she is still a little bit of a biter which probobly wouldn't have been so bad if I had done my research before getting her. I'll try and find you some links for info.
[notify]
Maya

PaperQueen

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 12:16pm PST 
http://www.doberman.org/articles/puppy.htm

http://www.geocities.c om/reveriecollies/criticalperiods.html

This was a question someone asked on yahoo answers. Some of the answers are good:
http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080403021316 AAXgNIZ
[notify]

Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 12:17pm PST 
I know how you guys feel! My uncle (a BYB, never get a dog from him) gave one of his GSD puppies to my church's pastor at only 6 1/2 weeks!eek And he wonders why I call him a BYB?
When I complained about it to my grandma she says that they've been on solid food sine the age 3 weeks. Oh. My. Dog.eek I've tried to explain this to them, but they either don't get it or don't want to.cry
And they other puppies are going to their new homes in a couple of days, 3 days shy of 8 weeks old.eekcry Why oh why does my uncle has to be so stubborn?shrug
P.S.
Here's an article that I have found and agree with:
The 8 Weeks Myth

Edited by author Thu Apr 3, '08 12:19pm PST

[notify]
Chewy

CHEWY - Adopt me!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 12:24pm PST 
I just now have experience raising a puppy from birth so here's what I gathered. I really tried to let nature take it's course as much as possible with Chewy. My goal was to keep him and his mom together for at least 8 weeks. He did nurse up until about 7 weeks. He was also eating food but he was occassionally nursing up to that point. I also was under the impression that there are behaviors to be learned from the mom up until 8 weeks that would be helpful, namely bite inhibition. Anyhoo, I can't imagine having taken him away from her at 6 weeks or really under 7 weeks! Not because of the nursing but he just seemed so young and he really depended on her. She was a great mom and they were together all the time, playing and what-not. Maybe it depends on the pup and the situation and their individual maturity level but there is no way Chewy would have been ok to leave until this week. JMO

Chewy hasn't left yet and doesn't seem to going anywhere soon but his mom just left yesterday. I still feel bad and that it was too young even at 8 weeks old but he's doing well and I have 3 other dogs in the home that he is with. I guess this was the reverse where he is staying "home" longer and his mom got adopted out. My big girls are doing a great job teaching him things, playing with him, and showing him how to behave so it's worked out for him.

Edited by author Thu Apr 3, '08 12:32pm PST

[notify]
Woody CGC

Love is a good- belly scratch!

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 6:04pm PST 
This is an interesting survey
http://www.doglogic.com/apdtfaqs2.htm#RESULTSOFTHEPUPPYAGESU RVEY
[notify]
Ella

All squeakies- must die!

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 8:48pm PST 
See the two current biting/regret threads. This is often what happens when you take a puppy away early: they don't learn bite inhibition from their mother and siblings during that critical time. When we humans have to teach bite inhibition to the puppies, we're not nearly as effective, and it takes much longer to get across to the pups. And it's sooooooo painful!
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 9:21pm PST 
At 4 1/2 weeks she'll be up every few hours bottle feeding the pup. Or it will die.

Pretty straightforward if you ask me.
[notify]
Aibou

Big Boy

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 9:23pm PST 
We got our boy at 6 weeks. From what I have read since, that was too young. However our practical experience has been otherwise. Perhaps we were just lucky and got a well adjusted dog. He was the only one in his litter, and got removed from his mom by the breeder even earlier I think. The breeder kept him inside the house, where he was also allowed to run around. The breeder had trained him well. He seems a very calm non-anxious dog. I was amazed at how little he seemed concerned when we took him away, not like other puppies that I recall from other times. One thing where he did have problems with was how to play with other dogs. In hindsight we should have given him more chance to play with other dogs when he was smaller. He still needs to work on that a bit, but he meets other dogs regularly and just loves meeting them. Maybe our boy was an exception, but taking him away a bit early doesn't seem to have mattered. That said, I'd err on the side of caution and would absolutely not take a pup at 4 1/2 weeks. The overwhelming opinion of experienced dog owners is that you should wait till at least eight weeks.
[notify]
Ella

All squeakies- must die!

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 10:45pm PST 
Another thing I thought of: I believe many well-known and respected animal behaviorists have noted that there is a link between temperament problems in adult dogs that were not raised until 7 weeks or so with a litter. Littermates jostle each other around and acclimate each to the very important feeling of "frustration." In other words, if a puppy doesn't feel the frequent frustration and discomfort that comes from competing with littermates for milk, then that puppy is much likelier to have aggression issues later in life, because he/she won't know how to tolerate frustration. Breeders have also noticed this problems with litters that have only one puppy.

But seriously, if your daughter-in-law ends up getting a young puppy anyway, just chuckle to yourself about how much she's going to be in over her head.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2