GO!

At what age is a puppy considered "full grown"

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Ferris

pay attention to- meeeeeeeeee!

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '07 7:58am PST 
I'm just trying to figure out how much more growth I should expect out of my little chi baby. The breeder told me that his parents were only between 4-5 pounds, but Ferris is already 4 pounds & he's only 3 months old! I'm wondering if I was misled to believe he would be a small 1. I will love him no matter how big he gets of course, but I'd like to have some sort of idea of when he should be done getting bigger & bigger! puppy
[notify]
Chico

Blue Cheese...

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '07 10:11am PST 
i believe growth for small dogs levels off at about 10 months or so. large dog take longer they grow until about 18 months.
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 3:02pm PST 
I am not so sure about Chis but I know the smaller the dog the earlier they mature...My dogs aren't considered fully "grown" until they are 4 yrs. old.
[notify]

Quinn

Walk, sniff,- pee, repeat...

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 3:14pm PST 
I have read that toy breeds do the majority of their growing, particularly in height, during the first 6 months of life. They continue to grow after that but its more filling out in weight and head, ear size, coat length etc. We were originally told by the breeder Quinn was going to be smaller than average. The vet agreed she probably wouldn't be over ten pounds. She is five months and has just hit ten pounds so, I think she's going to be between 12 and 14 pounds. Which is an average size Cav, and just fine by us!
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 4:43pm PST 
Even if your pup's parents are 4-5 pounds, it is possible for your dog to weigh more than that (genetics are funny that way), you really need to look at your pup's entire pedigree to determine what size it may reach. Most tiny dogs reach reach their full size by 9 months old. My dogs will not reach their full size or have their full coat until they are about 3 years old.
[notify]
Eve

Eve: aka Evil- Sidewinder

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 4:52pm PST 
mom & dad read on some googled site a while back ..... that us boxers don't mature until at least 3 years eek that only gives me another 3 months of immaturity left ! eekeek
[notify]
Chase CGC

It's Mine I Tell- Ya! Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 4:55pm PST 
Well, Chase won't reach his full adult body until 2 years of age.

Pugsley, he seemed to stop growing at 6 months... However, I do notice that he is filling out more.
[notify]
Ferris

pay attention to- meeeeeeeeee!

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 7:02am PST 
Thanks for all the info!!!! WOOF!!! dog
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 8:03am PST 
Most dogs reach their full height between 6 months and 1 year of age. After that they fill out more, become proportionate, and lose some puppy fat.

Edited by author Sat Sep 22, '07 8:03am PST

Josie

Too cute for- words

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 2:06pm PST 
Josie is hovering at 8 lbs at 7 months (8 next month on the 3rd)...
So she's about donethinking
[notify]