GO!

to neuter or not to neuter?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Choco

Dig! Chew! Dig!- Chew!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 2:09pm PST 
Choco is going to be a house dog, so we aren't too worried about him hooking up with the dog across the street... However, with our last dog (a black lab named Toby who died of old age) we were constantly embarrassed because he would get "aroused" constantly, especially in front of company.

On the other hand, I've heard that neutering your dog takes the "spunk" out of them - and that's mostly what Choco is.....

So, any thoughts and/or experiences would definitely help in making this decision =)
[notify]
Rudy

Can I have that- food?

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 2:18pm PST 
Neutering does not take the "spunk" out of a dog. It will, however, lessen/prevent him from "marking" and will prevent testicular cancer.
[notify]
Kip

I'm a Maniac!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 2:25pm PST 
Just because he will be an indoor dog does not matter. Neutering is always a GREAT idea! Others are right too, it does not take the spunk out!!! Kip is still a maniac and he is 3 years old, and I got him neutered at 5 months!!!
[notify]

Bigg

Bubba Bigg- Sooner

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 2:29pm PST 
i'm a neutered boy and believe me... i'm all spunk! bol. after i was "snipped", i became less territorial and all quit lifting my leg on everything which was becoming a huge problem for mom. it also helps keep your little boy from trying to run off if he smells a female in heat near. i've heard that a dog can smell a female within a mile. not sure if that's true though.

hope i was a help... go for the neuter!!!
[notify]
Pugsley

I Might Be Small- But I Have It- All!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 2:30pm PST 
If he is going to be just a pet, neuter.

Pugsley, never calmed down after being neutered, trust me... Sometimes I wish he would have laugh out loud

Also, they still get "aroused" when they are neutered. Pugsley still gets his... Hmm, "red rocket".red face

Edited by author Mon Jun 18, '07 2:32pm PST

[notify]
Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 2:32pm PST 
Neuter is cuter!

However, if you do it, do it while he's young. I work at a shelter and the last couple adult males we have gotten neutered have not taken it well. They bother the surgery site and end up taking longer to heal and end up having to wear a cone. The pups bounce back the next day like nothing happened.
Ivan - ADOPTED

Big, Dumb, and- Lovable

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 2:38pm PST 
Foster Mom says she wished neutering would have taken the spunk out of me. Unfortunately for her, I'm just as crazy as I was before I was clipped. Even though I spend most of my time inside with my foster family, we know that if I get out, I won't be creating any more little Ivans that will become orphans like me.

I say neuter!!
[notify]
Tank- ♥DC

HI FURIENDS!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 3:01pm PST 
I absolutely say neuter. Both of my boys are neutered and had no problems afterwards. The next day they acted like nothing really happened to them. Tank still gets the "red rocket"red face as well. They are still spunky and it reduces the risk of testicular cancer and marking territory.
Go for it!!!!way to gocheerapplause
[notify]
Orion CGC RN

Too much for you- to handle!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 3:12pm PST 
If it is a pet, it should be neutered. There is no for sure way of knowing that he will not get out and get to a female. ALWAY NEUTER YOUR PETS. (show dogs are different)

There are some down sides to neutering, but the major part is to stop unwanted breeding. However, the myth of popular belief is that it HELPS keep a dog healthy. This is not true. Yes it will stop testicular cancer, but it will not make your dog a super dog.

Good luck!
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 3:32pm PST 
I learned a trick from show doggie parents on how to train your doggie to control himself from getting aroused in public. This is a trainable behavior.

Other issues such as dominance and marking can also be trained out of an unfixed puppy. While it's much much easier to train a neutered puppy out of hormone-driven behaviors, it's not impossible to train an unneutered pup out of the same behaviors.

To raise an intact pup responsibly, it takes a lot more caution and effort out of the owners. Of course, if this kind of lifestyle as a dog owner suits you, then it's your prerogative.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3