GO!

Another question.. Will she rub off on him?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Sundance

Play, Play,- Play, PLAY!

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '07 3:04pm PST 
Okay, please excuse all my questions, haha. I actually have never owned a puppy this young before. The new pup is about to be 7 weeks, and so far Sundance is taking to him well, except that she plays really rough with him and gets all growly. I am concerned this might make him aggressive with other dogs. What do you all think??
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '07 9:21pm PST 
He needs to be taught dog manners. If your older dog is well-mannered, then don't worry. The puppy will be "put in his place" lots until he grows up and acts civilized. Interfering with his canine language education will only make him a rude and dangerous animal.

Being growled at will not make him aggressive-- being beaten by people, being confused, being anxious, being brought up without manners, being the pack leader: these things will make him aggressive. Being growled at will make him submissive, and hopefully it will make him civilized and polite to stronger dogs.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 5:56am PST 
"Being growled at will make him submissive, and hopefully it will make him civilized and polite to stronger dogs."

Wow, I don't know that this is necessarily true!thinking

By the way, we want puppy pics. He needs a page and a name!!!!!

Edited by author Mon Jun 18, '07 5:57am PST

[notify]

Nina Angel

Smaller Than I- Think

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 6:04am PST 
On another note, aside from socializing him with your current dog, make sure he's exposed to tiny stresses in his own home. Try and get him to walk on unbalanced surfaces from time to time, get him used to loud noises and flashing lights. Small stresses like this usually prepare the dog and get him used to bigger stresses as he gets older. Make sure he gets used to chaos in your home, thunderstorms, all that stuff to make sure he's not a fearful dog when he grows up.
[notify]
Sundance

Play, Play,- Play, PLAY!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 9:12am PST 
Thanks, I feel a little better! I have done a bit of the *stressors* like knocking a broom over on the floor, running the garbage disposal, etc and he is doing great, doesn't seem bothered by much. We will take him on more outings once he has started his shots, which will be on Friday.
[notify]
Sundance

Play, Play,- Play, PLAY!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 9:14am PST 
Rosalita - I know, I have been meaning to do that! His name is Coda. I have taken a few pics, but none that are Dogster worthy yet, hehe. I'll try to get some good ones today. : )

Edited by author Mon Jun 18, '07 9:29am PST

[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 9:34am PST 
Can't wait to meet him! cheer
[notify]
Logan- ♥

You say spoiled- like it's a bad- thing.

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 8:37pm PST 
When we got Daisy, Logan was a year old and the first night he gave her a stern lecture at bedtime....it was hilarious. He actually sat oustide her crate and did this bark/growl/whine type of thing like he was actually talking to her..telling her exactly what her place was here. She just stared at him, tilting her head from side to side. I've never seen anything like it and he's never done it since. He did do some growling at her, some correcting her, etc. but never anything that would harm her. Now, they get along great.
[notify]
Joey

Spotted noses- are the next new- trend...

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 9:12pm PST 
I think it will rub off on him. He views Sundance as an example.

Joey rubbed off good behavior form our past dog, Nickey.

So I'd imagine that it could be the same on the other end of the spectrum.

Just make sure he gets to meet alot of friendly doggies when he's old enough.big grin
[notify]