GO!

holding your puppy by his scruff...

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Choco

Dig! Chew! Dig!- Chew!

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 10:26pm PST 
is it bad?
[notify]
Baby Girl

Single. To state- it simply.

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 11:25pm PST 
I think holding a dog by the scruff of his neck is okay as long as it is not for to long, you syop when he gets to big, and is not very far from the ground when you do it incase you drop him. PLEASE DO NOT drop the poor thing though. It is nautral for mama and baby to do so.
[notify]
Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '07 3:52am PST 
First question.... why would you want to or need to?

Their moms only do that for a very short period of time. I believe that once the mom don't do it, humans shouldn't either unless it is a life or death situation. Just because a pup is small, don't mean it don't hurt. So please, unless it is a life or death reason, don't do it. This is just my opinion and my experience.
[notify]

Choco

Dig! Chew! Dig!- Chew!

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '07 11:44am PST 
i was just wondering smile i was walking yesterday and i saw a woman holding her puppy by the scruff, and telling her friends that it doesnt hurt..................i know their mothers do it so yea smile thanks!
[notify]
Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '07 1:06pm PST 
A) The puppies mother is another dog
B) We are not dogs
C) Dogs know the difference between another dog and a human.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but there is just no reason to do that, especially to a puppy. Why was she holding the dog by the scruff?

Jeez, just makes me think of the way they display the dogs at dog auctions. No need at all.silenced
[notify]
Harley

Noodle's the- name, noodling's- the game!

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '07 12:33pm PST 
I have a book that address this topic, and here is what it says: DO NOT DO IT. Dogs use their mouths as their hands, because they don't HAVE hands. If they did, they would pick their puppy up with them properly, not by the scruff.

Hope it helps!
[notify]