GO!

Older dog Biting at new puppy

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Rufio

king of all- dogs!

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 7:50am PST 
We just brought home a 4 1/2 month old shi poo and our 1 year old yorkipoo seems to love him and get along just fine with him. The only thing I've noticed- and I'm probably over reacting- is that the older dog, during play time, will bite at the puppys legs. Since he(the older yorkipoo) was a baby he has always enjoyed chewing ice, chewing bones, and playfully biting at our hands. Is he just trying to assert his dominance? Any way to stop this? Other then that, they are getting along fine- the new puppy is very much a baby and is rather shy while our older yorkipoo is very playful and outgoing. I'm guessing that they will find a balance between them- at least I hope so..obviously the yorkipoo is my main priority and I just want to see them get along and play.
[notify]
Cayden

I'm the- juggernaught!

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 9:12am PST 
When my dogs play they play bite, legs and paws too. It shouldn't be anything to worry about. If the puppy gets out of line, the older dog will give a good but not hard bite to let the puppy know its out of line. But the leg thing is normal from what I have watched with my dogs. I'd keep an eye on them till they bond but it really shouldn't be a problem.
[notify]
Sadie,- GBeAD-C1

Will the real- Shady Sadie plz- stand up?

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '07 6:05am PST 
I don't think it's something really to worry about, I think your older dog is trying to show dominance over the younger pup.

Keep an eye on them until they get to know eachother a little better. way to go
[notify]

Louie

me too! MMMEEEE- TTTOOOOO!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '07 8:45am PST 
I do this to my cousin benny to get him to play with me. well actually I do it with all dogs I want to play with me. I have also heard that it was a hearding behavior. I wouldn't worry about it and just make sure the puppy gets some time away from the older dog to rest and relax.
[notify]