GO!

Anybody ever forget to potty?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Toby

Kamikaze Dog!

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 9:22am PST 
I am amazed at my puppy's bladder!
He's been holding all night for a little while now and when I take him out in the morning he sometimes takes 25 minutes to potty (if he does at all)! (You'd think he couldn't wait to go once he's out, but nope). If he doesn't potty after about 15-20 I try to bring him in and give him food and water in hopes of moving everything along, but the second I put him down in the house he says to himself "Oh yeah, I forgot to do something while I was outside, let me just do it right here!" (right here being in the house).
I know he's curious so I don't get mad when he takes a while (sniffing, chewing sticks, chasing anything that moves) but I don't know how to reinforce "potty outside when you go outside". He has a regular potty schedule that he follows most of the time but getting him to remember to potty once he gets outside seems to be the major issue causing most of the accidents that we have.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 9:37am PST 
When you take him outside to potty, take some yummy treats with you. And when he does potty outside, praise him, pet him, give him a treat, have a party! Do this every single time; don't get bored with it, or think that he's getting bored with it.

And when he potties inside, ignore it, and him, except as necessary to get it cleaned up. (And use an enzymatic cleaner, Nature's Miracle or something similar, so that you really remove the smell. If there's anything left, it's a signal to him that that's a good spot to potty.)

Pretty soon, he'll get the idea that it's a lot more fun to potty outside, and totally boring to potty inside.
[notify]
Toby

Kamikaze Dog!

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 9:53am PST 
That's part of what is amazing me, I have a specific container of "outside" treats and he knows what and where they are and when he gets them. He gets loving like nobodys business when he pottys outside and loads of treats to boot! snoopy I've gotten some very strange looks from my neighbors wink

Do you think maybe he doesn't get the potty thing, he just holds it until he can't anymore and then relieves himself when there's nothing distracting him?
[notify]

Madalyn

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 4:33am PST 
Maddie can get side tracked sometimes and get to playing and forget to potty while we are outside. Treats do help and I use specific words.

If she plays to long before going potty, I let her know I have a treat ready for her and tell her "potty outside". She is very food motivated and this works for us. Maybe you could give it a try. It may take a few tries at first but eventually it can become a routine. Maybe get some new treats. Some all meat treats that smell really good. Get a variety and change them up often.
[notify]