GO!

Sleeping Too Much

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Mac

Sir.- Sleep-A-Lot!

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 8:25am PST 
Hi, I'm a newbie here and was wondering if it's normal for our 12 week old puppy to sleep too much. He sleeps all day and will get up to eat, or relieve himself. He'll play for maybe 1/2 hour in increments. Am I worrying for nothing?
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 8:35am PST 
If he's eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, etc. normally (i.e. doesn't seem sick in any other way) I'd say you're worrying too much! big grin Puppies really do sleep A LOT. (And yet it's amazing how much trouble they can get into those brief times they are awake!) He's probably sleeping about the same amount as any other puppy. Enjoy it while you can, 'cause before you know it, he'll need LESS sleep and have MORE energy! laugh out loud

edit - How long has he been with you? When puppies first come home, it's kind of stressful for them getting used to their new surroundings, so they might sleep more then, too.

Edited by author Tue Jun 12, '07 8:36am PST

[notify]
Mac

Sir.- Sleep-A-Lot!

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 8:40am PST 
Thanks for the response. He's been with us for about a week and a half now. He's doing fine in everything else!
[notify]

Greta, CGC

Please pet me,- PLEASE, PLEASE,- PLEEEEZE!

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 8:54am PST 
Has he been to the vet yet since you got him? If not it would probably be a good idea to take him in for a check up. Also, you could keep an eye on his gum color to make sure they're nice and pink. If they are pale that could indicate that something is wrong. Most likely though he's just a sleepy puppy and will be bounding around the house in no time! He is a real cutie!
[notify]
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 8:57am PST 
When Rondo was that small, our vet laughingly told me that he was just like a human baby--they mostly eat, sleep, and poop. So if you've been keeping up with the regularly-scheduled vet appointments and they haven't caught anything, I wouldn't worry too much. Actually, I would enjoy the quiet...while it lasts BWAH HA HA!

Happy puppy snuggling,
Rondo
Mac

Sir.- Sleep-A-Lot!

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 8:57am PST 
Yeah, he's been to the vet a few times already. He's gotten his shots, de-worming and treatment for giardia. The vet only said that he'd be sleeping the day of his vaccinations but he got those last week.
[notify]
Bailey

Peanut Butter- Nutter

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 3:59pm PST 
Bailey is almost 3 months now, and he still has long naps during the day. He usually sleeps for an hour or 2 at a time before waking up and being ready to play.
I use any nap times to my advantage since when hes awake hes REALLY awake!!
[notify]
Lula - -

Too Much- Booty!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 7:46pm PST 
I'm 4 months old and I only nap if there is absolutely nothing else to do!!! My mom says I"m hyper!
[notify]
Cayden

I'm the- juggernaught!

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 9:22am PST 
Its normal and trust me you are going to miss these "lazy sleepy days" when he get a little bit older. Cayden was exactly the same way and then BAM he was all over the place. Once that active stage is reached just keep him well worked and he will be fine.
[notify]