GO!

Forced To Use Puppy Pads

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Molly

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 6:35am PST 
Molly arrived here 10 days ago. We were absolutely adamant about not using the house training pads and had decided that we'd take her out every 30-60 minutes to eliminate. It was working perfectly, and at 7 1/2 weeks, Molly was already going to the door when she had to "have a break".
Three days after she came home, Molly became very ill, and had to spend some time (4 days) at the vets on an IV drip; recieving antibiotics and dextrose as needed to regulate her sugars. She's now home, but still on oral antibiotics and with a depressed immune system, the vet has suggested that she stay indoors until she's had her next set of shots.
And thus, the tittle of my conversation topic.
We're a little bit upset that the housebreaking that was going so well has had to stop so suddenly. Molly was using the puppy pads 100% of the time for the first day and a half that she was home, but in the last day and a half, she's started to seek other places to void.
Has anyone else had a situation similar to this?
We're changing the pads each time they're soiled, is this too much?
Will I ever have my nearly housebroken puppy back?
Any suggestions/comments are welcome!
Thanks
[notify]
Penny

I didn't do it!

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 9:47am PST 
How about putting puppy pads just outside the front door, so technically you're still outside but not OUTSIDE outside?
[notify]
Shayla

My Sunshine!

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 4:47pm PST 
waveAwe Molly is so cute!
I also have to stay indoors until I have all my puppy shots.

“We're changing the pads each time they're soiled, is this too much?”

We use news papers. This way we can scatter a bunch in a certain area for her to use. I clean it up as soon as she goes on it.

When Molly does use the pad give her lots and lots of praise and a treat this is what I do for my puppy and she uses the news papers 100% for peeing on, the pooping is another story lol but she’s still learning.
Also if you are really desperate you can buy a baby’s play pen and as soon as she starts to sniff around put her in it ..line it with news papers or your puppy pad. You could also keep her in it when you out of the room.

”Will I ever have my nearly housebroken puppy back?”

Of course you will, she is still very young and don’t worry she’ll love going outside again and soon will get used to the routine.

good luck,
Shayla and mommy

Edited by author Tue Jun 12, '07 4:48pm PST

[notify]

Shylo

Cutie- PaTootie

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 11:23am PST 
You will get your nearly housebroken pup back!!!

I go only on pads, if mom brings me outside, a pad goes, too! MOL

I will eventually get the hang of it, but I never soil anywhere in the house but the pads. mom started saying 'good girl' and clapping, making a big deal, right from day one. It has worked VERY well. I love my pads and mom has one in every room. She will eventually cut back on them one by one and then move them outside until I learn.
[notify]
Bella

Bella Boom Boom- Loves to Vroom- Vroom~

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 1:17am PST 
It helps to do what Shayla and Shylo do...

It was especially effective with Bella when we gave her a teeny treat each time she went, and a lot of praisesmile

I don't throw out the pads until they are relatively soiled. This helps her remember where to pee/poo...

I also take her to the potty area every 2 hrs or so, after playtime, after eating, after she drank anything (trust me, the first 3 weeks of this and I wanted to scream b/c it was so early in the am, sometimes at 3 am, 6 am, you name it). After about 5 wks of constancy, she's 90 percent there...
[notify]
Poppy

It wasn't me

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 2:02am PST 
I've been using pads for 2 months now, when I 1st had them I was going really well, but I still poop & pee on the carpet even though I have pee pee pads (it drives my mum nuts).
[notify]
Molly

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 5:39pm PST 
Molly's back to using the pads 100% of the time!!! cheer
I spoke with the vet today, who says that with one day left of treatment, it'll be okay for Molly to start having some outside time - we've been on two whole walks today!
Now I'm running into the "no peeing anywhere but on the pee-pee pads syndrome"!! LOL
I guess it'll just have to be perserverence & the test of time that tells.
Thanks for all your comments.
[notify]
Rocky

Got Food?

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 6:30pm PST 
My experience from having a few pups, and knowing many more, is this. Some pups do very well distinguishing between puppy pads and rugs or carpets. Others do not.

I try to train to outside as well, but, this isn't always practical, especially because we have months of snow here, and smaller breed young pups just can't take that cold. I prefer to use a plastic liner on the floor topped with newspaper for a pad. For some reason the pups I've had trained to paper, don't use the carpet. Twice I have experience puppies I've tried on pads also using the carpet, but when I switched to newspaper, they stopped using the carpet.

I have never had trouble switching a pup trained from going inside to going outside when the time came, but I do know others have.
[notify]
Shylo

Cutie- PaTootie

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 10:57am PST 
I forgot to mention that we have no carpets in the house!!! I think that makes a huge difference with the pee pads! when I went over to grandma's, I peed on her carpet even tho mom brought my pads there. That lasted a few times but mom praised me even more when I went on the pads there. Also, if it looked as tho I may squat on the carpet she'd scoop me up, put me on the pad and say, go pee Shylo, go pee. Then I would go and get all sorts of praise and everyone would clap!!! BOL
[notify]
Molly

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 2:35pm PST 
Yeah, we don't have carpet either - except the cat condo - which HAS been peed on!! LOLlaugh out loud
[notify]