GO!

Dreaming

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Ra

Anything that- squeaks must- DIE!

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '07 10:21pm PST 
Hello fellow pups!
I have a question about doggy dreams.
I know that we will never discover the geat mystery of just what our furry friends think or dream about, but I'd like to get some ideas started on dog memory, if not some interesting stories of your own experiences!
I will start with a couple of my own experiences. I'm sorry if they drag on, there is just so much to describe!

The other night, I was almost falling asleep when I heard a familiar sound. I had thought Ra was alseep, but heard him doing his "snap snap" routine. He does this to get my attention during the day by snapping his teeth at me. I looked over to his bed and realized that he was doing it in his sleep. While unconcious, he was opening his mouth wide enough, and closing it with enough pressure to be snapping!
This wasn't even all.
I began to think he was may have been hunting something, as the most recent event had been him tracking and attacking a baby possum. His front legs were moving more than 3 inches from front to rear, as if he was pawing at something in front of him. The motions were jerky, at most, but they were happening.

I've always thought that, like humans, dreaming dogs are capable of hearing things going on in the real world, and may hear them from their sleeping state.
For example, for humans, or for me specifically, I will have been dreaming that I was in a car, and music will come on the radio, and when I wake I'm hearing my radio alarm go off, playing that same song. Or I wake up from a door slamming in my dream, and hear a gun shot in the distance once I'm awake.
I wanted to see if I could determine that the same could be said for touch during a dream.
As you might have known or not, Ra was attacked about a month back by a stray dog on his right hind leg. His ankle was punctured three times and we had a very traumatic two hour wait in an emergency vet office while numerous dogs (who were not bleeding, mind you) were seen before we were. We were supplied a towel (so he wouldn't bleed on their floor) and after the entire two hour wait were given VERY bad medical advice. The Vet wanted to stitch the punctures. As you can guess, I was out of there fast. But back on topic.
For a few nights after the incident, Ra would have dreams (albeit nightmares I'm sure) and would cry loudly in his sleep while moving onyl his right hind leg. I woke him up the forst few times, and received bewildered "where am I?" looks until he was clam enough to fall asleep again.
The last time he had this sort of dream, I did not wake him. Instead (for ym sick sence of curiosity), I placed the palm of my hand on his right hind leg, and added steady pressure. The result? He violently moved his leg away from my hand, but remained asleep. I did this seperetely 5 times during his dream, with the same result.
Is this proof that he was having a nightmare? I don't know. But I think it was proof that he was deraming about something he remembered.
Thoughts?
[notify]
Poppy

It wasn't me

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 2:15am PST 
Hi, I have doggie dreams cos my mum hears me barking in my sleep. Yes I think your doggie is having doggie dreams too...
[notify]
Louie

me too! MMMEEEE- TTTOOOOO!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '07 9:05am PST 
I have doggy dreams too. I sometimes wake my mom up in the middle of the night by barking with my mouth closed and moving my feet. I even move my mouth sometimes like I am still a baby and suckeling from my birth mom.
My humom likes to think that I am having happy dreams about chasing my friends or running around the dog park.
[notify]

Ruby

Kiss This!

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '07 9:16am PST 
Okay, I always believed that dogs dream about things like running with other doggies, digging etc. But the weird thing is when Ruby had her pups, the puppies all twitch and make little noises like they are dreaming, but this is even when they are just a few days old, and their eyes aren't even open yet...so what can they be dreaming of? Maybe nursing?
[notify]