GO!

Am I pooping too much??

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Albus- Dumbledore

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '07 5:47pm PST 
my 10-week old maltese puppy used to be on a wysong food and used to poop 3 times a day on his puppy pad -- but i just switched him over to innova evo -- and now he is pooping 6-7 times a day! is this a ridiculous amount and something i should be worried about?! his poop is normal, although a bit on the drier side.
[notify]
Ziggy Marley

Mommy's Boy

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '07 5:59pm PST 
I did that when I was on the solid gold. How many days have you been on the innova? Perhaps you need a little more adjustment time. I know with innova I am going 1 time in the morning and 2 times at night max. Solid gold I was doing it 6-7 times a day.

If you give it a good adjustment time and your still going that much and its too much for you then you may want to switch.

On the health end I dont know much about that, best to call the vet up and just ask them?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '07 7:46pm PST 
You have to change gradually from one food to another:

3/4 old food; add 1/4 new food - over a week span.
1/2 old food; add 1/2 new food - over a week span.
3/4 new food; add 1/4 old food - over a week span.

It's supposed to be easier on the digestive system.
Good luck! wave
[notify]

Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '07 7:05am PST 
Not an expert but isnt Innova EVO way too high in protein for a puppy? Not sure if that's the problem or if it even affects small breeds the same as larger ones. All i know is that EVO has 42% protein and dogfoodanalysis.com says it's not suitable for puppies. I feed Cali Innova Puppy (dry) and she poops about 3-4 times a day. Puppies poop A LOT. Before switching over to Innova, she was on Purina Puppy Chow and pooped about 6 times a day. I noticed she pooped less and less as i gradually introduced Innova Puppy. I also agree with the other posters...you may have switched over too fast. thinking
[notify]
Albus- Dumbledore

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '07 7:31pm PST 
whoops, i meant to say i've been switching him over to innova -- he's currently still eating a mix of innova and wysong, and it's almost been a week, and i'm doing about 1/4 wysong, 3/4 innova now.

i was also worried about the 42% protein but read up on the info and talked to innova ppl and they told me this is fine for small breeds since they don't have the bone problems that larger breeds are more prone to. i was also worried he might shoot up too quickly, but apparently innova helps them grow more steadily, instead of having a growing spurt, and then not growing as much, like many other brands.

i am seeing the vet tomorrow for his booster shots, so i will ask and have an update! thanks so much for your responses!
[notify]
Lady Lulu- Marie

Ain't I Just the- Cutest Thing?

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '07 8:18am PST 
Yes please update! I was thinking of switching Lulu to Innova also.
[notify]
Albus- Dumbledore

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '07 12:57pm PST 
vet said 6-7 times a day is normal for puppies as they are supposed to be pooping a lot. he also said innova is fine -- albie seems to really like it as well, especially because the pieces are smaller than the wysong (with the wysong, i needed to smash it up into smaller pieces before feeding it to him). so i think i will stick to the innova!
[notify]
Ziggy Marley

Mommy's Boy

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 7:47am PST 
The regular innova puppy has I believe 24% protien. I am not on the EVO, just the regular innova.
I thought that was the innova everyone was talking about.
[notify]