GO!

puppy not pooping on schedule

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Wed May 23, '07 4:53am PST 
We've had Cali for about a week and a half now. Ever since we got her home, we've noticed exactly when she poops. It was always right after each meal. We feed her at 7am, 1pm, and 6pm. She would poop 3-7 minutes after she was finished eating. Within the past couple of days though, things have changed. Around Saturday, she stopped pooping right after dinner. Instead she would go right before bed - around 9pm or 10pm. Then yesterday and this morning she didn't poop after breakfast. Instead, yesterday she pooped around 4pm.

Could this have to do with the fact that I'm in the process of gradually changing the food she eats? Or my mom suggested that maybe her body is using more of the food now instead of pooping it all out right away? What's going on? I'm sure this is normal, but just wondering. You know we all love to talk about POOP. laugh out loud
[notify]
Butters

~7lbs. of- spoiled rotten~

Barked: Wed May 23, '07 5:12am PST 
Hmm...I notice that Butters does the same thing every now and then. So I take him out every hour. And then he usually pees, and about every 2-3 hours he poops. I feed him at 9AM and 3PM. It's best not to feed them after 6. I won't feed Butters any time after 5. Because then, before bed, he will go, but he won't have to in the middle of the night. I know I should be feeding him 3 times a day still, but when I was, he got to where he won't eat the 2 of the 3 meals. So I started feeding 2 times a day.

What kind of food were you feeding him before? And what did you switch to? Butters WAS eating Purina Pro Plan Puppy, but I switch him to a better quality food. I switched him to Innova Evo. He likes that better than the Innova Puppy food. It takes him a little longer before he has to poop after meals, because it is better for him, and there are no fillers for him to poop out right away after eating.
[notify]
Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Wed May 23, '07 9:02am PST 
She was on Purina Puppy Chow (bleh) and I'm in the process of switching her over to Innova Puppy. Isn't Innova EVO too high in protein to give to a puppy? Anyway, right now shes eating about 1/3 Innova Puppy and 2/3 Purina Puppy Chow. I'm transitioning extra slow just to be sure things go smoothly.
[notify]

Ruby

Kiss This!

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 2:10pm PST 
I would assume its because she is utilizing the food better than the purina stuff. Because when their are better ingredients in the EVO, so that is a good thing. Plus she is getting a little older, so she may just be learning to hold it longer? Is her poo getting runny or changing form? BOL..the things we talk about on Dogster..hehehelaugh out loud
[notify]
Pugsley

I Might Be Small- But I Have It- All!

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 4:05pm PST 
As Pugsley got older his schedule changed a lot. He used to be like your pup where he would always go after he ate. Now, he only goes when we first wake up and right before bed, but it took a while to get to a point where he wasn't all over the place and his schedule didn't change every week.

I think as a Puppy gets older he/she will have to go less! I remember when I was having to take Pugsley out every half hour confused

Edited by author Thu May 24, '07 4:06pm PST

[notify]
George- Sullivan- Bailey

Proud to be a- Connemara- terrier!

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 7:27pm PST 
The transition (BRAVO by the way for switching to much higher quality food!) from one food to another is probably changing his schedule. Puppies aren't always consistent in their elimination times either, especially as they get older. Tess and Sully's schedules seemed to change almost week to week... as long as its not accompanied by a decrease in appetite or other signs of illness, I wouldn't worry. Happy pooing to your wee one!! wink
[notify]
Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 4:16am PST 
Thanks guys!
[notify]
Butters

~7lbs. of- spoiled rotten~

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 11:29am PST 
Yes, the Innova Evo is VERY high in protein. In fact, it is 42% protein. I was feeding him the Innova Puppy, and my other Chi was eating the Evo. Before long, Butters started stealing food out of Scrappy's bowl and stopped eating his. So I switched him over to the Evo. Even tho it is high in protein, he is a growing puppy and he needs the high protein. On the other hand, it is NOT recommended for large breed puppies. Because it can make them grow TOO fast. But, since toy breeds stop growing at 9 months old, it is perfectly fine for Butters to eat it.

*EDIT*
Just to let you know. If your puppy likes the Innova, but starts to not show any interest in it, it is because the peices are harder than most foods. Butters has started doing this even tho he likes it. The Evo is that same way. The kibble is harder than most. He is teething MAJORLY right now, so he has been picking at his food because it hurts for him to chew it. I had to order the 95% canned Evo so he can still eat. I hope it helps.

Edited by author Fri May 25, '07 11:32am PST

[notify]
Flower

lil scamp

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 1:20pm PST 
Hello there, I seem to be having the same issue with my 11 week puppy. She always pooped on shedule, about 20 mins after being fed, but now it seems to have all gone to pot! She just poops randomly and sometimes its fine and then other times its squitty (not nice to clean up!!) Does your puppy ever have this problem?

Anna x
[notify]
Flower

lil scamp

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 1:23pm PST 
Hello there, I seem to be having the same issue with my 11 week puppy. She always pooped on shedule, about 20 mins after being fed, but now it seems to have all gone to pot! She just poops randomly and sometimes its fine and then other times its squitty (not nice to clean up!!) Does your puppy ever have this problem?

Anna x
[notify]