GO!

6 week old puppy: Help!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Kioko, Kio, Kioko bear ^_^

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 12:45pm PST 
hi guys!smile I will be bringing home a 6-week old puppy on June 8. He's a mixture of Japanese Spitz and Pomeranian. cheer I heard that puppies that young should not be left outside the house. Problem is... my mom doesn't seem to like the idea of keeping the pup inside the house, at least until he's old enough.

I already bought a big cage for him. Would it really be bad for him if i leave him there every night? Should I really keep him inside until he's about 3-4 months old? shrug

Need your insight on this... smile

Thanks!big grin
[notify]
Axel

where's the- couch?

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 1:23pm PST 
6 weeks is early to bring a puppy home. A puppy should be with its momma until 8 weeks. If you are bringing her home that early , yes a crate would be an excellent idea. She is too little to be outside alone for extended periods.
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 1:23pm PST 
It's probably best to keep him inside and away from other dogs until he's 3-4 months old and had all his shots. Howlever, I got to make short trips outside at 9-10 weeks old to start learning potty outside. That's also when I came home.

I didn't get to be outside more than 15-20 minutes until I was 3-4 months old. Part of that was the winter weather bee-ing too cold and that I was so young. I still don't go outside by myself. Mom always goes with us and we're big dogs now.

Smoke, watched like a hawk
[notify]

Gabriel

No, pay- attention to- meeeeeee!!!!!!!!- !!!

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 1:42pm PST 
I also have to say 6 weeks is too young, in general puppies shouldnt be taken from their mothers till at least 8 wks-this is because even those to weeks is an important learning time for them & their mothers teach them important things like bite inhibition during this time & what is appropriate behavior. Also many ppl think smaller breed dogs should be held to 12wks of age.

If you cant keep the dog inside, did you think about possibly asking the breeder if they can keep it till its close to 12-16wks? It would be safer outside this way.(im not going to rail on u for where u are getting ur dog from, but a responsible breeder doesnt let there puppies go till 8wks & i dont know a good breeder who would let their small breed puppy go to a home where it will live out doors)-again not tryign to be mean just a comment.

If you have to keep the dog outside remember it cant just be an open wire crate-the dog need protection from the elements(rain, wind, sun)-this means that the dog will need a part of the crate to be covered(not just a tarp or blanket thrown over, because that still lets in wind and rain falling at an angle). You also need a bed for the dog inside the covered area that is raised off the ground(or it will can get wet or cold & ur dog can get sick). You also need to make sure that the bottom is not wire(or if it is, that it is covered by a plastic tray or board, etc.) obviously if you have an actual outdoor kennel and not a regular crate-the bottom will most likely be concrete or grass(not so good because they can dig out). You need to make sure the dog has alot of water-for hot days(remember if the water is in direct sunlight-alot can evaporte in a day & it will get warm in the sun as well). Also remember that most heartworm preventative for dogs & topical tick/flea medication can not be started till your dog is at least 8 wks & if it is sleeping outside-it will need at the least heartworm preventative medication because every night it will be bitten by mosquitos.
[notify]
Gabriel

No, pay- attention to- meeeeeee!!!!!!!!- !!!

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 1:55pm PST 
Also why doesnt your mother want the dog in the house?? If it is because the dog might go potty in the house, chew on things etc etc. I would tell her now that a puppy kept outside till its older will not change these things. The only way to house train a puppy or dog is to have it in the house. Its also the only way to teach it to not chew on things.

I would recommend going to ur library or to the book store and get a book on raising a puppy or even googling puppy care. To train you puppy you are much better off keeping it in the house. Have a crate for the puppy(only big enough that the puppy can stand, turn around, and lay down in comfortablly-this is important to help with potty training-if you already have a bigger crate than buy a divider for the crate so you can make it smaller while the pup is learning), when the puppy is taken out of the crate-always monitor it!!!!! no unsupervised house rambling, this way he wont chew on anything & you can watch him to see if he has to go potty & you can take him outside. Whenever ur pup goes potty outside praise him, make a fuss, and give him a treat. If he has an indoor accident(and u catch him while hes doing it) say NO, take him outside & when he goes then praise him. Never rub his nose in it or anything like that, it doesnt work. You can also paper train your puppy-google it & it will explain how.

There are so many other things i could outline for puppies, but the best for u is to get a book & read up on raising a puppy & if your mom still wants it outside you can show her the book & explain why its better to have them inside.
[notify]
Crosby 6/98 - 11/09

Splash Down!!!

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 2:04pm PST 
Sorry, but I have to be blunt. If the breeder is willing to sell a 6 week old puppy to a home that will keep it outside, they are a crappy breeder & I would run away from that purchase.
Also, if your mom says that puppy has to be kept outside, then you should not be purchasing a dog. This will only lead to problems down the road. How will you potty train & teach the dog what is right or wrong in the house? If & when the dog is allowed in the house those things will need to be taught. Even an adult dog that has never been in the house will need to be potty trained & taught what it can & can't chew on, climb on etc..
I have been teaching puppy kindergarten for approx 5 years. I can tell in class one which puppies were taken from mom at 6 wks versus 8 weeks or even better yet 12 weeks. There is a HUGE difference in their ability to socialize. Every puppy I've had in class that has been aggresive towards other dogs or a fear biter was taken away at 6 weeks. (That's not saying every dog taken at 6 weeks had problems). It takes a lot of time & commitment on your part to get the puppy properly socialized.
If you do get a 6 week old puppy start getting it around other puppies & well behaved dogs every single day for the first couple months. After that their brains have progressed onto other aspects of development & socialization will much more difficult.

Edited by author Sun May 13, '07 2:08pm PST

[notify]
olivia

Bow down to the- Queen!

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 2:26pm PST 
I agree with Crosby, Im a rat terrier breeder and to let them go at 6wks is not right. I dont let mine go until 8 wks. even tho they are eating on there own i still dont. Socializing is very important. I just got a puppy back yesterday because the owners never socialized him and thought it would be a good idea to keep him outside all the time then when they finally let him in they didnt want to potty trian he got into trouble alot and now has submission urination problems. If cant provide puppy with a healthy atmosphere i would reconsider getting the puppy. There is always next time.

Edited by author Sun May 13, '07 2:35pm PST

[notify]
Shayla

My Sunshine!

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 3:48pm PST 
I agree with everyone here as to what they have said. 6 weeks is just too young. Your mom should get a book on how to care for such a young puppy.

The puppy needs proper shelter from everything. What if some other animal comes at night while you are sleeping, how is it suppose to defend it's self?

These little ones do not belong outside unsupervised at all!

Maybe you should rethink about getting the puppy until you do further research and your mom is willing to be more responsible.

Good luck!

Edited by author Sun May 13, '07 3:50pm PST

[notify]
Sam

I'm for- adoption!

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 4:14pm PST 
I agree. Six weeks old is to young.
[notify]
Pugsley

I Might Be Small- But I Have It- All!

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 4:27pm PST 
I don't think a small dog like that belongs outside. This whole thing seems wrong to me period.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6