GO!

Future Agility Pups?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Magnum NAJ- O-TN-N OJC- WV-N

Run fast, run- clean!

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 7:25pm PST 
Any out there? I'm a 2 mon. old, male , black Lab and am training for Agility. Any of you Agility pups can join my group Agility Pups!
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 7:43pm PST 
Whoa! 2 months is WAY too young to start agility training! Most responsible trainers will require that a dog wait until it is nearly a year old before allowing it to start training for agility or any impact sport. You can definitely start obedience training now, and there are some places that offer puppy classes for "agility preparation", but there should be NO jumping or weaves before the dog is fully grown!
[notify]

Run fast, run- clean!

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 2:41pm PST 
Oh! No, I meant like tunnels, sits, downs, and etc. Sorry if it sounded like I meant jumping and poles. I would NEVER star tjumping or poles until a year.
[notify]

Darwin

Lets go- 4-wheelin!!!!!!!

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 6:52pm PST 
I LOVE jumping! I am about 4 months old and alreay trained for agailty! YAY MEcheer! I can give tips too!
[notify]
Bronze

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 12:10am PST 
Welcome! You are very cute :]

At your age, establish a solid "basic command" obedience foundation, and the agility will be fun AND easy.

Just remember that as GIO said, starting agility at your age is not a good idea. Agility is hard on dog's joints, and as puppies, your growth plates are not fully "mature" - the added pressure can lead to stunted growth and severe joint problems.

:]
[notify]

Run fast, run- clean!

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 4:50am PST 
Yea, I know. I've been working on sits, downs, comes, and other obedience. What we do is my Mom says 'sit' and I sit. Then she says 'tunnel' and I go through like a wild man. Then she says 'walk it' and we slowly go up a makeshift/puppy size A-frame(really a pause table with a ramp on one side).
[notify]
Darwin

Lets go- 4-wheelin!!!!!!!

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 5:34am PST 
oh I am not doing anything above 3 inches just for that reason. I could go higher but I have to stay fit for my champion years ahead! I dont like the tunnel of A frame though. I can be running and Shannon will call out down and I drop like I have been shot! At 4 months I know this. I love me!!!snoopy
[notify]
Chloe

Honey Bear

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 10:18am PST 
Awesome! I'm hoping to get Chloe into agility in the near future...probably once we're done with puppy classes and basic obedience. snoopy
[notify]
Bailey

3.5 pounds of- utter cute

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 2:59pm PST 
we're waiting for the all clear on one of bailey's knees. Its really a minor issue that the vet hopes she will grow out of. If things go as they are for her nose issue all will be well soon. no jump training yet but she is learning to go over a pole (3/4 inch thick dowel) on the ground that will be raised gradually over the coming months. I want to get the easy stuff perfected so agility class can be a little easier.
[notify]

Run fast, run- clean!

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 5:20am PST 
I noticed Chloe joined the group. Anyone else?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2