GO!

Learning to lay down???

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Leia

CHEWING IS WHAT- I LIVE FOR!!!!

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 11:26am PST 
Help Im a 3 1/2 month old lab and Mommy is having one heck of a time trying to teach me how to lay down??????? confused Please help mommy!!!!!!!!!thinking
[notify]
Brandy

Brandylicious!

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 12:23pm PST 
Hi Leia! wave Great name btw way to go

First of all, do you know any other commands? I ask because, I don't know about anyone else, but I think the easiest way is to teach lay down from the sit position. Get Leia to sit and then hold a treat in front of her face so she can easily smell it. Then slowly, go straight down so she follows it and when she lays down...TREAT AND PRAISE!! cheercheercheer

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
[notify]
Leia

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 2:07pm PST 
HI BRANDY!!!!!!!!!!! wave THANK YOU THANK...my parental units are stars wars fans....dont want to say nerds but THEY ARE!!laugh out loud

Yes I do know how to sit and stay wwwoohhhoooo.....mommy has tried that and I just kind of look at the treat and stand up and then bend overshrug. I have a sister and what you stated worked on her but............NOT ME laugh out loud

Maybe mommy should ease it down there thinking instead of going straight down confused?????

THANK YOU!!!!!!
[notify]

Madalyn

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 2:11pm PST 
Maddie does the same thing. I am thinking of waiting until she is a bit older and taller to try teaching her "down". She has sit perfect and she is doing good at learning wait and I think thats really good for 3 months.
[notify]
Dublin

I was born to- test my families- patience

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 4:35pm PST 
Hi I am new first post here... I have a crazy nutty new puppy and he learned down quickly. I hold the treat from the sit postion and slowly while I am on my knees slide it with him down. Have someone else pull the front paws forward sliding him down if needed. And use the word DOWN very often during it till he learns the word. The once should be enough for the treat. I am having a bit of trouble with a STAY command. He will hold it but if I move back a step or two he comes along rather than waiting. Again we are trying another person to hold him if needed and then release when I tell him to come to me. Patience isn't my virtue! And this take patience.
[notify]
Lia- Fáil- ♥

I'm not spoiled,- I'm just loved!

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 4:40pm PST 
The way Lia learned was starting in the sit position...then bringing the treat down to the ground so she hunches over...not f ully down. Once she's gotten the hang of that somewhat I pulled it away from her while she hunched and TADA! She lays down! *shrug* She's crazy.
[notify]
Princess Fiona

The Energizer- Bunny. I keep- going...

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 5:16pm PST 
Fifi just learned "lay down", and she is four years almost five, in August. She knows sit, stay, take a break. I just never felt the need to teach her alot of commands. Truthfully I didn't know how to teach her, but we just started a Tricks & Games class so... she needs to know that stuff. So anyways what has worked with FI is to make her sit. Once she is sitting I take the treat and put it down in between her front paws, once she is really interested I start to pull the treat forward sliding it across the floor, eventially she will lay down and immediatly I give her the treat and tell her good lay down. (high pitched voice belly rubs)

Another thing I might add is that it helps if you have really interesting treats. I got Fifi freeze dried liver treats and she goes crazy. They smell like fish food, to me, but if Fifi knew how to do back flips she would for these things.
[notify]
Leia

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 7:14am PST 
Madalyn HECK YEAH THAT IS AWESOME!!! That "lay down" position I ACTUALLY GOT!!!!!!! Wednesday mommy thought there was no hope (she doesnt have much patience) but we worked on it last nite and WHO KNEW I GOT IT!!!cheer

Dublin WELCOME YEAH NEWBIES THAT IS US!!!!! Mommy actually tried the slidin of paws and I think that is why I finally got it yesterday WHO KNEW?? Patience yes mommy doesnt have much of that either but since we are both so FREAKING CUTE WHO CAN RESIST US RIGHT? Cleo my older sis was adopted @ 4 months and she seemed to pick up everything so QUICKLY & PERFECT! Mommy got me at 2 months and IM THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE! Patience....way to go

Lia THANK YOU MOMMY IS IN COMPLETE SHOCK she didnt think I would ever get it but practice makes perfect!cheer

Princess Fionahailwe must start a new club I too am a Princess hailI think that is the key "interesting treats" cause Im not CRAZY over these one treats 4got the name freeze dried liver mmm.......mental note ask mommy to check those out. THANKYOU! I do the like the treats she gets but am not CRAZY OVER THEM!shrug
[notify]
Frank's Wild- Years

Follow your- nose!

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 8:34am PST 
I taught Frank to lay down by starting in the sit position. He gets too excited with treats and won't pay attention, so no food was involved.
From sit, I would take his front 2 ankles gently in one hand, and slowly move him to the laying down position, while giving the command. And once I had him positioned where I wanted him, I would praise him.
He caught on really quickly. Only took about 10 repititions before he started laying down on his own.
[notify]
Leia

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 11:00am PST 
Thanks Frank hail.....that is actually what Mommy did & your right CAUSE WE SMART...I picked it up not bad for almost 4 month old puppy huh wink Now if only Mommy could get me to stop biting!!!thinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2