GO!

Couple Questions

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Loki

Love me!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 12:02pm PST 
I just have a couple general questions.

(1) When exactly IS the teething period? I've been searching high and low online, and haven't come up with anything definitive.

I'm guessing like 4 mo. - 6 mo.??? Is that right?

(2) What is "normal" for housebreaking? Loki is mostly housetrained, but still has an accident about once a week. But if he's too excited or scared, he'll pee. Like he peed when we had visitors and also when I turned on the vacuum. Someone please tell me that this is normal, and that it'll get better.
[notify]
Bailey

I'm adorable, I- know I can't- help it....

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 12:45pm PST 
Hi there fellow pup, I am 19 weeks old today and I lost 3 teeth over the weekend. Mom says lots of times you wont notice the pup losing teeth cause he will eat them or they get shuffled around on the floor and you dont see them. But she says around 4-6 months is about right. As far as potty training I'm "almost" trained as well, I still have accidents but its not as frequent as it used to be, but most of the time it depends on the breed, some pups are just harder to train. Good luck to you, your a cutie!
[notify]
Jack, CGC

It's hot out- here, can we go- inside?

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 12:45pm PST 
Puppies start to get their permanent teeth between 4 and 5 months and this can last for a a couple of months. It's good to have lots of chew toys on hand during this time, to prevent them from taking out their discomfort by chewing all of your favorite belongings! A favorite in our house is the "Chilly Bone" (from Petsmart) which you wet and freeze. It's made of tough canvas and is pretty indestructable.

As for the potty training, it's harder to specify a "normal" age since a lot of it depends on the breed/size of the dog, etc. From what I know about Shibas, they are supposed to be "easy" to potty train, but so were Great Pyrenees and Jack was definetly NOT easy! I think it's pretty common for most dogs to be between 4-6 months old before they are 100% potty trained, and reliable when unsupervised. Not to say that it's not possible to be "accident free" before then, through a consistent routine and constant supervision.

When it comes to dogs and kids I think that "normal" is not a word that can be used often. They each do their own thing, at their own pace! Good luck with Loki!
[notify]

Jaeger- Meister von- Laker Blue

The- "Shredenator"

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 1:02pm PST 
Woof Loki~

My mom too, is waiting for my darn puppy teeth to fall out. They are always gripping about my sharp teeth piercing their skin. I have read between 4-6 months for the teeth business. as for the potty training, I am doing great! My first two/three weeks I had some boo-boos on the floor(no poops though). I think that since I am in a crate from 8:30am-12:00pm/then mommy comes home and lets me out for 1 hour and then I go back in from 1:00-5:30 it has made it easier for my housebreaking. Mommy says that I have been much easier than RANGER was....Mommy was home with him all day and they did not have a back yard to go in and out too. Terriers are known for their stubborness. they want to do what they want to do....At night time, I can make it 6-7 hours without going out if I am really sleepy. I usually go out at least once during the night just for GP.
good luck and tell mommy to take a deep breath. Some dogs are harder than others.
[notify]
Jaeger- Meister von- Laker Blue

The- "Shredenator"

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 1:04pm PST 
Oh Loki!

Forgot to ask if you would like to be pup pals???? I will send a PPR to you.snoopy
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 1:15pm PST 
1) When exactly IS the teething period?
Yeah, 4-6 months is about right. Your pup may want to chew anything and everything during this time, or nothing at all - some pups find it painful to even crunch kibble when teething. Pay attention if you see baby teeth hanging around in the same spots permanent teeth are coming in. Retained puppy teeth often need to be pulled, so point them out to your vet. They'll usually pull them when you're under sedation to get fixed.

(2) What is "normal" for housebreaking?
There is no "normal," unfortunately. Some pups take a day, some take months. The key is to be consistent and to address the problems of your particular pup, whether he may be having trouble controlling his bladder for a long time, telling you when he needs to go out, etc. A vet I had once threw out a number at me.. she said if your pup has gone 3 months without an accident, you can consider him housetrained. shrug
The accidents you're talking about, however, like peeing when scared or excited, sound like submissive urination and is really more a behavioral issue than a potty-training issue. Google it and see what you find. It might be something you need to consult with a behaviorist or trainer about at some point.

Good luck with puppyhood! It can be stressful but also a lot of fun! And what a cutie you have!

Edited by author Mon Apr 30, '07 1:16pm PST

[notify]
Zoidberg

Fastest Puppy in- the Park!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 1:33pm PST 
Hey Loki!
My Daddy loves you namesmile
I am about 4 months old and I just started losing teeth. Mommy looks in my mouth every day and check to see if I have lost any more. I am not a huge fan of her looking but I would never bite her, she is my Mommy!
As for potty training Mom and Dad both say I am doing well... I make it through the night for about 7 hours. When mommy gets up she goes in the bathroom and gets ready.. I stay in my house (cage) waiting patiently until she is done. We then go on a short walk and I normally go potty. We then go inside and have breakfast. Some mornings I sneak up with Dad other mornings I needs to go number two. I am with Dad for the next three he normally takes me on a walk and I go both number 1 and number 2. I then stay in my house for another 6-7 hours. After that mom comes home and we go potty again. During the night time I normally let them know when I need to go out.. Mom recently got the "Poochie Bells" and I am trying to learn how to use them so I can warn Mom and Dad when I need to go out!
I have had c ouple of small accidents.. normally when things are going on and I forget I need to go... when Mom and Dad scoop me up I normally stop going and finish outside. Mom hopes with the new bell ringing device I will be finished with the accidents (even thought there are no more then 5 times accidents have happened...
[notify]