GO!

Neutering

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Scooby

Chomper

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '07 7:29am PST 
Hi guys! I was just neutered last Thursday and have to wear one of those special collars shock Vet says it needs to stay on 10 days! Mom's not too thrilled with that since it's pretty big and hard for me to do things. I'm adjusting ok to it. I don't seem to be in pain eitherapplause Was wondering though if any of you had experiences to share about neutering or the collar. Mom's also worried it may be too tightfrown Have any of you removed it before the vets advise and did you make out ok?shrug
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '07 10:12am PST 
Hi! Thank you for being a responsible owner! See how he does without the collar. The reason vets want them to where the collar is to keep them from licking and chewing on their incision scar, but if he shows in inclination to fiddle with his scar he should be fine. If you are worried, you could leave it on him when you are gone, but if you can supervise him, you do not have to have it on.

My past 2 foster dogs both were neutered, one the day before I got him and one while I was fostering him and neither had a collar and neither needed one.
Sassy

What! Do you- have something- to say?

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '07 10:23am PST 
I agree with Kiona. The only reason you need to use the collar is if he is messing with his stiches. Try watching him when he doesn't know you are watching him. If he picks, then you know that you need to leave the collar on him when you aren't home. The only dog I ever had that messed with the insision was a 6 year old male. It's a bit of a shock at that age, poor guy.

Many times, if the vet is a good one and your dog is young, he won't even realize that any thing has been done! Puppies (under or around a year in age) bounce back so fast!
[notify]

Sassy

What! Do you- have something- to say?

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '07 10:26am PST 
I see thst Scooby is four months old. He probably doesn't even notice anything is gone! I've never had a pup need a clown collar at that age.
[notify]
Brittany

Hello. Allow me- to introduce- myself...

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '07 10:32am PST 
i spayed my dog sense she is a female but she had plenty of stitches on her belly but she did not where a cone so that seems a bit weirdconfused
[notify]
Max

I am soooo- lovable!

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '07 10:33am PST 
I never needed the collar when I was neutered. I never bothered my incision. Funny thing though, I hadn't even looked down there until a few hours after I had been home and when I did I looked up at mom and dad and started running around the house, looking all around, and then looking back down. Guess I was missing something I felt I needed! BOL!
[notify]
Jovi, NPC,- CEGE

Momma's boy and- proud of it!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '07 10:43am PST 
I didnt have the collar either when I was neutered.
[notify]
Callie NPC,- DBE, STCH,- LP1, CR

100% pure Love- Sponge Attention- Hound!

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '07 11:33am PST 
BOL @ Max!!! I don't recall needing a collar either after I got fixed, but the shelter used dissolving stitches so maybe they dissolved before I even noticed they were there smile
[notify]
Hershey

Let's play!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '07 11:35am PST 
Thanks for getting neutered. I was only 4 weeks when mine was done so everything was a blur then.
wishes Here's hoping to fast healing.

If he's not an incision licker than go ahead and take the collar off.
[notify]
Petey

Drool - It bring's- treats!

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '07 12:19pm PST 
I bought an e-collar when I picked Petey up from the vet after his neuter surgery just in case. He never had to wear it. He was a good boy which really surprised me. I was pretty sure I was going to have to use it.

Keep an eye on the stitches. Petey's did not dissolve as fast as they should have and he ended up with little abscesses on top of each of them and we had to go back for antibiotics and to be told to put a warm compress on the abscesses 2 times daily.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3