GO!

Meeting dogs

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Loki

Love me!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 12:20pm PST 
Since my puppy has not yet had all of his vaccinations yet, he has not had the opportunity to meet many dogs. Still, he has met a few and it's apparent that he doesn't have good doggie social skills. (Well, obviously, since he doesn't interact with other dogs much.) Sometimes he growls and barks. Today, he met a very calm medium sized dog. Loki seemed to really like her and wanted to give her kisses. So he was jumping up all over this dog's face; and also scratching the other dog's face. The other dog just took the abuse.

My question is, do I just let Loki just do whatever he wants when he meets new dogs? Should I just let the dogs do their own thing? Or should I try to intervene and make him behave (ie stop jumping)?
[notify]
George- Sullivan- Bailey

Proud to be a- Connemara- terrier!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 12:27pm PST 
If your area has puppy classes, I would recommend enrolling Loki the minute he is eligible. The focus of these classes is doggy socialization and problem-solving/troubleshooting for puppy owners. It is a place to meet new friends and will offer a safe and positive environment for Loki to practice his social skills. You can ask the instructor about the best way to introduce Loki to other dogs. Best of luck with your adorable puppy! big grin
[notify]
Augusta

born to pose

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 3:10pm PST 
Loki, as soon as we were able, we went to Doggie Daycare. It can get expensive, but it really helped us meet and socialize with other pups and REALLY HELPED us stop our nipping. Once we nipped the wrong pup, we learned our lesson.

To save $$, we would go only a couple times a week (it wears us out quick anyway) and/or half days and the lady would take us home on her lunch break. As you know, us Shibas kinda have a reputation for being a little anti-social, but it can be overcome with training and patience. Good luck!
[notify]

Loki

Love me!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 4:05pm PST 
Yeah, I'm definitely putting Loki into a class as soon as I can. But waiting around until he gets all of his shots really sucks. He just got his third set today. We still have to wait another 3 weeks. Boo... (I'm impatient about this, can you tell?)
[notify]
Jack, CGC

It's hot out- here, can we go- inside?

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 2:12pm PST 
Here's a good article about puppy socialization and shots, etc. It has some ideas for socializing until the shots are done. Our vets, trainer, and breeders all said we were fine to socialize our pups after their second set (at about 9 - 10 weeks) as long as we knew the dogs had their shots, so we avoided parks and pet stores, but did go to friends houses who had vaccinated, healthy dogs, and we enrolled in a puppy kindergarten class that required all the dogs to have at least 2 sets of vaccinations. That way you're getting started while your pup is still in the crucial "socialization stage" (between 8 and 16 weeks). If you wait much longer than that, they enter another "fear stage" (around 4 months) which can cause some hesitation/anxiety in new social situations, or around new dogs. Of course, it's still possible to get them comfortable with everything, but it may take some additional effort and patience at that point.
[notify]
Loki

Love me!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 4:38pm PST 
Thank you all! I just found a trainer nearby who does Puppy Socials! What a great idea! Yay! Message me if you are in Ventura, CA, and want more information about it.
[notify]
Lula - -

Too Much- Booty!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 6:16pm PST 
I try really hard to be social with my 2 bigger brothers one a 3 year old chi and the other a 3 year old GSD. the GSD is really nice to me but the chi is very grouchy! I'm very sociable with my kitty mommy also. it's scarey that we have to be social and can't go around other dogs till we get our shots. by then were set in our ways??? the vet recomended that we just go to people places like outdoor shopping places and stuff - at least we will get sociable to people that way. I'm gonna grow up nice to big dogs and mean to little dogs and nice to kitties at the rate I'm going.

wink
[notify]